smelling my speakers after dd-1

so I dd-1 and cc-1 my 2 fi btl 18s running at 4 ohms since I don't have charging system in my Silverado to run them at 1 ohm.

im running them off a mtx te1501d wired with 1/0. Anyways I did everything to the T on instructions as far as I know I crossed it at 80hz and my amp gain is almost all the way up without clipping and head unit was measured as well but I have been using it since thurs and at high volumes I am starting to smell my speakers burning and im wondering why since im only pushing these at 4 ohms with a little over 600 watts and it shouldn't be clipping, what did I do wrong. when I did my head unit I set settings to flat I did everything I was supposed to.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what db tone did you use. 0? -5? -10? i hope not -15.

more specifically, which tone did you use for the headunit, and where are your h/u setting now, and where is the bass boost on the amp during all this?

edit

spelling

What do you use as a source? Do you normally have and equalizer settings turned up, or bass boost, loudness, etc? If you used the CD to set the gain but you normally use the auxiliary input or a USB input, the head unit might not carry over the same audio settings for the different sources. So you may have set the gain right for the CD source but the other sources aren't "flat" so you could be sending a clipping signal. It depends if you head unit has "global" audio settings, mine doesn't

That happened to me, I set gains with the CD but I have +2 mid on the USB source and that was enough to show up on the DD-1.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

I set head unit first yes at 0db as per instructions then after head unit set gain with -10db I have bass boost knob I set at half as per instructions, my head unit goes to 55 unclipped im playing like at 40- 45 and smelling it bad I know im frying them but don't understand why

I set all these thru Bluetooth on iphone since that is what I always use and I set everything to flat first, afterwards I set bass up on headunit to 2 out of like 6 I will turn down plus headunit has crossover at 80 as well as amp set to 80

I set head unit first yes at 0db as per instructions then after head unit set gain with -10db I have bass boost knob I set at half as per instructions, my head unit goes to 55 unclipped im playing like at 40- 45 and smelling it bad I know im frying them but don't understand why

dont use the bass boost knob. its worthless.

I set all these thru Bluetooth on iphone since that is what I always use and I set everything to flat first, afterwards I set bass up on headunit to 2 out of like 6 I will turn down plus headunit has crossover at 80 as well as amp set to 80

why do you need bass turned UP on the eq? keep it on 0 or negative. absolutely no reason why you should have it up from 0.

did you rip the cd to the iphone or something? because bluetooth is different source-wise than cd. different clip points, and such.

You dont set your bass boost, you set the gain on the amp only

2010 Kia Forte Koup (Slow Build)
2 Sundown SCV-3000D

2 DC XL M1 with PSI recones
Focal R-165s2 on Orion 4800-HP
Kenwood KDC-X798
Knukonceptz OFC 1/0
Audiotechnix,Fatmat and Q-mat Deadener

XS power D3400 up front 3 D3100s power in trunk
Stock 110 amp alt

2013 Scion TC

2 Dc lvl 3s with xl coils on Soundqubed 2200

Sundown components

AA 50.2 for components

Pioneer FH-X700BT

Knukonceptz OFC 1/0

Fatmat and Q-mat Deadener

XS Power D3100 up front D925 in back

Mechman 240 alt

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/189911-2013-scion-tc-build/ <Scion TC Build
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174094-jskiles-forte-koup/ <Slow Kia Forte Build
http://www.stevemead...ockUserAgent__1 < Old build 2005 Equinox

Archived