So here's the deal guys, I plan on installing 2 new batteries in my Yukon. I currently only have one in there, but my truck comes with the second battery tray, so installation is not a problem. The trouble I'm having is trying to decide on a battery, and deciding whether to use a isolator or just a plain old "On/Off" Switch. But more on that later

First, let me tell you what I'm running, and what i plan on doing with the dual battery setup. You can probably see it in my sig, but I've got 1 run of 1/0 gauge cable, to a single SoundQubed 1200d amp. I also have another run of 8 gauge, running to absolutely nothing, but i plan on doing a 4 channel install with it relatively soon. So here's the deal, I play a lot of music with my truck parked, going to bonfires, parking lots, stuff like that, and ill end up playing music for hours on end. Now, I really cant afford to just let my truck run for all this time, so i always end up turning off the truck, playin music for 30 min or so, then starting it back up so my battery wont die. I want to be able to go longer without my battery dying, and I also don't want to worry about my truck not starting.

The batteries- I've been looking at getting 2 Deep Cycle Exide Nautilus Marine batteries from Menards. Link. They seem to be on the cheap side, just $60 each, but actually have better numbers than my current starting battery. My rationale behind these was that because they were deep cycle, i would be able to run them all the way down, and recharge them, without actually harming the battery. The thing I'm worried about, is that because these batteries aren't the normal starting batteries, they might not even be able to start my truck. I guess what I really want to know, is will these batteries work for me? How would something like these be different from an XS, Kinetik, Yellow top? Don't get me wrong, I am in no way trying to start a vs. thread here, I'm just looking for some information on these different types of batteries, and I want to know how they're different. I know that batteries like those would be much better suited for my setup, but as an 18 year old college student that gets 10 mpg, i really cant afford taking a plunge on something like those.

Isolator or Switch- I plan on putting either a switch or an isolator between the two batteries. I want one dedicated starting battery, and another for music. Wouldnt it be possible just to put a switch on the wire that connects the two battery positives? Just a basic on off switch, to cut the flow of power. I would leave it on for daily driving, but when i park, just flip it once i turn off my truck, and then i could listen to music without worrying about killing my starting battery. Then just flip the switch back on once the battery dies, and then go start my truck and charge them.

Sorry this threads so long guys, Im just trying to give you as much information as possible, so you dont have to play cat and mouse with me asking questions about my system, and what i ultimately want out of my build. Just tryin to make it clear.

When in doubt, throttle out

Do you play music with the car off until your batteries are dead and your amps shut off?

If no, then skip the isolator. It will serve no purpose for you ;)

Just get a volt meter and watch your voltage. When it starts to get low, start your truck up.

I'll address the rest tomorrow when I'm at a computer

The cranking amps on that battery is a little low for the truck you've got but it should start the truck. The agm batteries are leak proof. As for a separate starting battery, just wire your second battery directly to the alt and have it as a system only battery. No need for a switch and it keeps the system battery and the starting battery separate yet they still charge from the same alt. I would recommend you get a battery meant for systems and the abuse they put on a battery but technically speaking any battery will work.

If he wired it straight to the alt It would still be conected to the starting battery just not directly. It would still draw off the starting battery with the car off. If it were me I would put a switch between the extra batteries and cut that switch off when in the parking lot. That way you can power your amps with the car off and still run your radio and stuff with the key on. The only thing running off the starting battery would be the radio. If you want to be really safe run a power wire from your extra battery to the radio and you will be good to go.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived