DD-1 And Crossovers?

I have a Digital Designs X1 crossover which works great, but I'm concerned I might not be able to use the dd-1 with it. And I do not know enough about how to calculator crossover attenuation to figure it out myself :(

Issue is that the high-pass portion of my crossover can only cross as low as 490hz. It's a line driver too, so there's that to consider.

My concern is that 1 octave(1kHz) above the crossover frequency might not be high enough to avoid quieting down the signal, and possibly give a skewed reading. I could probably figure this out myself if I knew the equation for a crossover graph, but I'm spacing on how to figure it out right now lol

Things to note:

- This is a 24db/octave crossover

- It is a line driver too

- The lowest I can cross at is 480hz

Edited by SnowDrifter

Oh, and I'm not sure what type of filter it uses, whether it be Butterworth, Linkwitz-Riley, Chebyshev, or Bessel. So I'm in a bit of a tough spot there :(

An octave ABOVE the high-pass x-over frequency shouldn't be affected much, if at all.

I think :peepwall:

An octave ABOVE the high-pass x-over frequency shouldn't be affected much, if at all.

I think :peepwall:

I know it's affected some, but I'm not sure if it's something so small that I can ignore it or not

I checked the stats on on DD's website but they don't have much other than what you stated (24dB/octave).

More than likely its Linkwitz-Riley, but for your question about before the cutoff frequency, it probably doesn't matter.

Here's a plot of a 24dB/oct slope (LR filters are -6dB at fc):

24dbslopes_zps16d15d6e.jpg

The fc is 80Hz. At an octave before (40Hz) you can see the slope just starts to drop.

I've seen the same effect on other filters (Butterworth).

At a full octave before the cutoff frequency, I wouldn't worry about any attenuation.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png