Headunit Screen Scratched!

I have a Sony dsx s310 btx

I got a couple of light scratches on the plastic where the screen is. I can post pics if need be. You can see them when the headunit is off, not so much when it is turned on.

Is there anyway I treat them? Plastic Polish or something?

It depends how deep the scratched are but you could try a rubbing compound like miguiars ultimate. But be careful, try it on a small spot first to make sure it does what you want. Also there's a similar product called PlastX that can achieve the same thing.

If its like a tiny surface scratch I just take some meguiars carnuba wax to a microfiber cloth and put it on in a small circular motion with light pressure first. Then I wait 10 minutes so it can dry and remove it. If the scratches are still there I apply a little more pressure than the 1st attempt and do the same process. One thing is that you cannot do this dry, you need to make sure you have wax on the cloth as if it goes dry you will get micro scratches on the surface. A little tip if you can do it would be to remove the faceplate and disassemble it so that you are only polishing the faceplate. This will help you get the traces of wax out from the button holes because if you don't get that out you will see the white/yellow wax in the openings and to me it looks like garbage.

If you have a picture of the scratch I could better assess it for you. If you run your finger across the scratches does your nail snag on the scratch or glide across? If it snags then you will not be able to get rid of it only make an effort to try and hide it.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

It depends how deep the scratched are but you could try a rubbing compound like miguiars ultimate. But be careful, try it on a small spot first to make sure it does what you want. Also there's a similar product called PlastX that can achieve the same thing.

If its like a tiny surface scratch I just take some meguiars carnuba wax to a microfiber cloth and put it on in a small circular motion with light pressure first. Then I wait 10 minutes so it can dry and remove it. If the scratches are still there I apply a little more pressure than the 1st attempt and do the same process. One thing is that you cannot do this dry, you need to make sure you have wax on the cloth as if it goes dry you will get micro scratches on the surface. A little tip if you can do it would be to remove the faceplate and disassemble it so that you are only polishing the faceplate. This will help you get the traces of wax out from the button holes because if you don't get that out you will see the white/yellow wax in the openings and to me it looks like garbage.

If you have a picture of the scratch I could better assess it for you. If you run your finger across the scratches does your nail snag on the scratch or glide across? If it snags then you will not be able to get rid of it only make an effort to try and hide it.

Hey guys, I just bought plastx and used it, looks so much better. Thanks for the help!

>If its like a tiny surface scratch I just take some meguiars carnuba wax to a microfiber cloth and put it on in a small circular motion with light pressure first. Then I wait 10 minutes so it can dry and remove it. If the scratches are still there I apply a little more pressure than the 1st attempt and do the same process. One thing is that you cannot do this dry, you need to make sure you have wax on the cloth as if it goes dry you will get micro scratches on the surface. A little tip if you can do it would be to remove the faceplate and disassemble it so that you are only polishing the faceplate. This will help you get the traces of wax out from the button holes because if you don't get that out you will see the white/yellow wax in the openings and to me it looks like garbage.

Hey guys, I just bought plastx and used it, looks so much better. Thanks for the help!

I was gonna recommend that shit lol Great Stuff!

Archived