Second Skin Audio

Rattling noise when I tap on the sub cone ???

momofx76

But when I press down on the cone there is no rubbing noise at all...

coil rub

same exact thing happened to my old aq's

Used to have a loud truck

2009 Corvette Z06, H/C/I, 150 shot, g force tune, 730rwhp/690rwtq

2013 F-150 limited, MPT Tune, leveled on 35"s

Well I found a video that is EXACTLY how it sounds but whats different about mine is, when I turn up close to max (clean) volume, it sounds just fine and plays as loud as it did before this noise. Well, I guess I am probably going to have to get it repaired :( - Anyone know how much it would cost to repair something like this? I am guessing a place like psi / fixmyspeaker ...

Here is the vid btw...

You said you cut the dustcaps off right?

Look inside on the former. Sometimes you can get the former to warp and crush in on the inside. I had an old sub that made a similar noise. Coils read fine, spiders were good, dustcap was good, coils showed no signs of rubbing or discoloration. But it made that sound

WP_000486.jpg

You can hear it in this video right when I begin to turn the volume up

slightly ripped triple joint? thats what happended to my buddys sub

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

Thanks for the pic, but no it does not look like that or sound like that - it is IDENTICAL to the youtube link I posted above. There is like NOTHING visibly wrong with - I looked at it again. Even resistance reading is identical to the other sub in the same box, which works perfectly fine btw. Well the good thing is, the guy I bought it from is an AB dealer and carried a warranty. So he offered to exchange it. Otherwise I was gonna go with psi's repair. Heard nothing but good thing about his repairs...

You said you cut the dustcaps off right?

Look inside on the former. Sometimes you can get the former to warp and crush in on the inside. I had an old sub that made a similar noise. Coils read fine, spiders were good, dustcap was good, coils showed no signs of rubbing or discoloration. But it made that sound

WP_000486.jpg

You can hear it in this video right when I begin to turn the volume up

Well I just found out it is COIL RUB. I am not sure but does anyone know if this will affect the actual output / spl / freq. response of the sub with coil rub? Just wondering cos it still appears to get pretty loud...

I told you that a week ago lol

Used to have a loud truck

2009 Corvette Z06, H/C/I, 150 shot, g force tune, 730rwhp/690rwtq

2013 F-150 limited, MPT Tune, leveled on 35"s

• 5 years later...
33 minutes ago, Skeeter218 said:

I know this is old but I have a dd 18 with this exact same issue n i cant figure it out for the life of me

You bumped an almost 6 year thread to tell us you have the same exact issue and that you can’t figure it out 🤦‍♂️

1 x Fi Audio SP4 V2 12" D2 Fully Loaded

1 x Wolfram W-4500.1

2 x XS Power D5100's

250A Singer Alternator

2.67 Cubes @ 29hz

3 hours ago, Skeeter218 said:

I know this is old but I have a dd 18 with this exact same issue n i cant figure it out for the life of me

If it's the exact same issue, it's probably the exact same outcome. Welcome to SMD.

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

Archived