Second Skin Audio

Calling on box experts, for 4 sundown zv3 18s get in here quick please!!!!!

Whats up guys I did a build log awhile ago with a box that had four zv3 18s in it. It was around 17.5 cubes net tuned to 33hz on about 12k rms, it was loud as hell but I no it was missing that extra punch to it. So the way my box was designed it had a removable port that took up 4.5 cubes , I mean this thing is huge. I have taken that huge port out and going to do something different now to gain some cubes and raise tuning and hopefully get a little louderyesnod.gif. So I decided to use aero ports instead, but were im stuck is I don't no which will sound louder and better. listed below is the two options. hopefully you guys can get me some insight on what will sound better. Anybody that help let me say it now thank you, also there is a pic of the old box below so you can get an idea of what was going on.

External dimensions 60L. 40w. 20H
Internal dimensions 57L. 37w. 17H
SUB Displace- .64
Bracing .05
Box is double layered birch all the way around.

Option one:

tuning 37hz
net volume: 19.1ft3
port area range: 172-248" in2
port area 202" in2
four 8" aero ports

Option 2:

tuning 37hz
net volume: 18.87ft3
port area range: 170-245" in2
port area: 226" in2
Two 12" aero port

photo4-4.jpg

photo4-7.jpg

IMG_1089_zps676262e8.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go with the 2 12" ports. I'm no professional on aeroports, but to me the less number of ports you have would work better for air flow. Somebody correct me if I am wrong though.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

I see quite a bit wrong with your current box tbh. No bracing your port is taking up too much space for no reason. Also looks like you have dead spots around your port because it dowsnt fit all sides snuggly

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I see quite a bit wrong with your current box tbh. No bracing your port is taking up too much space for no reason. Also looks like you have dead spots around your port because it dowsnt fit all sides snuggly

my port is taking out alreadly, not going to use it anymore. My box is super strong, double layered birch, and 3 layers of figerglass and mat on all the seams inside and outside the box. along with the threaded rods. strenth is not a problem, but that big ass port was defiently a problem, so now thats why im going with aero ports

Ok since you seem to know why are you asking? This is like the third thread youve done where you get advice and dont want to hear it. Whole lot of wrong from someone who knows it all already

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

no it all far from it, you made a comment about my box not having bracing, and i told you my box is strong, fiberglassed all through out the box, thats only three pics up there, there are many more pics that I didnt feel like posting, ex. there was no gap between the sides or under the box because I sprayed expanding foam under and the sides so there were no dead spots. I think i would no how strong my box , strength is not a problem and what your talking about wasnt even what the post was about. The post was about with size aeros to use , that port is not even in the box no more

no it all far from it, you made a comment about my box not having bracing, and i told you my box is strong, fiberglassed all through out the box

you wiped a layer of fiberglass resin on the inside of your box. if you think that adds any real strength to it, then its time to start taking your shit back to the local stereo shops.

but to get back to your question, if i didnt have such a deep hatred for sundown i would answer it. it really is a stupidly simple concept that goes back to the most basic principles of enclosure designing.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

Archived