Sundown Audio

Amplifier Questions. I need help.

BL4CK M4GIC

SO... I have been wondering about this for a while...

Right now I've got a Kenwood KAC-8105d monoblock amplifier pushing my one JL 12w6v2. This amplifier pushes 300w Rms at 4 ohm and 500w Rms at 2 ohm. the sub can handle 600 watts Rms. Right now it is set to almost full blast and i feel it can be louder.. because its not that loud. The amp gets pretty warm I think its either because Its up too high or my sub is too much for it. Ive been wondering about upgrading. I wanna get a Kenwood KAC-9105d. It pushes 500w Rms at 4 ohm and 900w at 2 ohm. I know 900 is too much but I will have it tuned lower so It doesnt blow the sub and so its more then 500 Rms. Is this a good idea or??? is there any other amps out there that push around 600 rms at 2 ohm??? i can get the kenwood off SonicElectronix.com for $175. Thats a good deal!!! anyways.. any suggestions would be helpful. :)

Here are specs for amp I want to get, sub and amp I have now;

Amp I Want; http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22574_Kenwood-KAC-9105D.html

Sub I Have; http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4010_JL-Audio-12W6v2-D4.html

Amp I Have; http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22732_Kenwood-KAC-8105D.html

HEAD UNIT - JVC KD-G430SPEAKERS - Pioneer 3 ways in front & backAMP(S) - Kenwood 1000wSUB(S) - JL audio 12w6v2CAPACITOR - Performance Teknique 2 farad (digital)SUB ENCLOSURE - Custom built to spec slot portedBATTERY - Duralast (for now)ALTERNATOR - ?WIRES - Pro auto sound 4 Gauge power & ground wire

and 900 watts kenwood rms is not 900 watts if it was an excelon series i would say yea but that amp would work with the sub regardless as long as it is distortion free and clip free to the subwoofer the min u put that shit to if it will go poof eventually

123_zpsdd06b4db.png

Nahh Im not stupid enough to turn it up to where it distorts lol. Its not distorting at all. I just feel its under powered. Gain is 3/4 not full. I dont wanna go up anymore because it gets warm and distorts. So an upgrade would change that right?

HEAD UNIT - JVC KD-G430SPEAKERS - Pioneer 3 ways in front & backAMP(S) - Kenwood 1000wSUB(S) - JL audio 12w6v2CAPACITOR - Performance Teknique 2 farad (digital)SUB ENCLOSURE - Custom built to spec slot portedBATTERY - Duralast (for now)ALTERNATOR - ?WIRES - Pro auto sound 4 Gauge power & ground wire

But it says its CEA spec? lol and Id only have the bigger one on like 1/2 tune instead of 3/4 since its bigger. what do you think it'd push if its not 900?

If your amp is getting hotter than it should you may not have proper voltage. In general, kenwood amps are pretty current hungry. You ill want to check your voltage at the amp. Also, your gain setting is not a volume knob. It is to match the input from your head unit. The higher the voltage your amp sees through the signal cables the lower you need to set your gains.

What is your electrical like? I would imagine you are starving your amp for current and sending distortion to your sub.

What is your budget for your amp?

Edit: what do you have subsonic and LP crossover set to?

Are you SURE that you are wired to 2 ohms? How do you know this?

get a bigger amp. nothing you can do about it.

Actually there is something you can do... and you just said it. lol :encore:

If your amp is getting hotter than it should you may not have proper voltage. In general, kenwood amps are pretty current hungry. You ill want to check your voltage at the amp. Also, your gain setting is not a volume knob. It is to match the input from your head unit. The higher the voltage your amp sees through the signal cables the lower you need to set your gains.

What is your electrical like? I would imagine you are starving your amp for current and sending distortion to your sub.

What is your budget for your amp?

Well I dont wanna go broke from an amp. Something that can power it and not overpower my wallet lol. 250-300 most likely. right now im running 4 gauge power & ground and it gets the correct voltage. also have a power cap. I tune my amps at 3/4 volume on my deck so its not distorted that high.

Archived