Sundown Audio

Amp drawing too much current?

bsneon98

I finally had the time to triple check everything and the notorious neon trunk leak came back, and rusted my ground, causing a voltage drop.

Sanded the shit out of everything and getting special grease for it this week, everything works perfect again! :)

Glad to hear it!

For anyone who digs this up on google or something in the future: this is the beauty of measuring your voltage at the amp. If you were checking it at the alt, you wouldn't have known there was any issue until things started breaking. Because your volt meter was telling you what the amp saw, you were able to react to an issue before it became a real problem :)

By the way: I'd look into trying to fix that trunk leak. Amps and MDF don't really take kindly to moisture. Depending on the sub, you might get some rust on your backing plate too

I finally had the time to triple check everything and the notorious neon trunk leak came back, and rusted my ground, causing a voltage drop.

Sanded the shit out of everything and getting special grease for it this week, everything works perfect again! :)

Glad to hear it!

For anyone who digs this up on google or something in the future: this is the beauty of measuring your voltage at the amp. If you were checking it at the alt, you wouldn't have known there was any issue until things started breaking. Because your volt meter was telling you what the amp saw, you were able to react to an issue before it became a real problem :)

By the way: I'd look into trying to fix that trunk leak. Amps and MDF don't really take kindly to moisture. Depending on the sub, you might get some rust on your backing plate too

Yeah man I'm glad I caught it early, and thanks everyone for your help :)

I fixed the leak (around my tail lights) years ago when I swapped my lights and it stayed fine until now, which sucks with all that MDF right by the trunk lid lol.

Archived