Great info and like the test... Might change a few peoples minds about using them...

Changed my mind when I saw the evidence lol. Now I can do what I wanted to do when I originally thought it up, which was to put 2 caps on each of my amps. I think my thread about that is still around...

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Great info and like the test... Might change a few peoples minds about using them...

Changed my mind when I saw the evidence lol. Now I can do what I wanted to do when I originally thought it up, which was to put 2 caps on each of my amps. I think my thread about that is still around...

But i think the debate is still going to be "How fast you can recharge them" And then as the data shows in one test the 1F was the better choice and the other one the 100F was... but in either case it helped... I am not an electrical engineer nor do I claim to know everything, but i think the caps help because the slew(reaction) time of the battery is slower then the reaction time of the cap... and just like your alternator is slower than your battery to provide on demand power... So depending on your application a cap MAY help...

2010 Chevy  HHR Panel (Work in progress)

Pioneer AVHX-5800BHS

McLaren MLM880's and MLT2's 2ea per door on a DC 175.4

Two DC Audio M4 Level 5 15's On A DC5K

Alt CES 200/270+

4ea Banks of Maxwell 2.7v 3000f caps for a total of 2000f

1ea XS 3100 and 2ea NSB FT170 Batts for 450+ah 

Not a HUGE build but here it is... DC Audio HHR Build

TDH-skater229.jpg
SkaterLogo.jpg

It will be interesting to test it out. Two 10 fared caps 1 to each of my sub amps.

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

people told me caps was bad but I had one that was 2 farad had it on the 400rms ssl amp totally different sounded and hit better with it

Placebo?

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

(Old Car) 1995 Volkswagon Golf MK3 2.0L:

Fi SP4 18 On A DC Audio 3.5K In A PWK Box

Hertz DSK 6" Speakers, Clarion HU

3x Fullriver 120aH AGM's, 225A Alt

2012 Subaru BRZ:

Audison Prima APK 163

Bit One, Rockford Amps, Audison Sub

We did see that they had to be as close to the amplifier as possible.

Just a question, Why as close as possible? Resistance?

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Just a question, Why as close as possible? Resistance?

Yes if the resistance of the wire from the capacitor to the amplifier gets close to the ESR of the capacitor you effectively have a voltage divider.

This AD-1, serial #0001 is going to be on it's way to SMD headquarters next week. I'm sure he will test all kinds of wacky situations and combinations with it. I'm excited to see those results!

Oh. The cats out of the bag! Interested to see what all Steve will test also. Should be interesting. Say hi to Evan Bishop for me the next time ya see him Tony