Voltage issue.... help?

For the last couple of days I've been noticing my voltage is down to 12.8v idle and less (~12.4v) if playing music at moderate to high volume at idle. Usually it's in the low 14's idle and 13's playing full tilt at idle. No changes has been made recently. I have the this daily setup in for over two months now. Here is my car & equipment list:

1996 Acura Integra LS (2dr)

200amp Singers HO Alt

4 runs of Stinger 1/0 wires

D5100r front + (2) D3100 back

(1) SAZ3k @ half ohm

(4) SA12's

Here is what I also noticed in sequential order (notice these are with headlights ON). I don't play music at full tilt for more than 15 seconds as voltage are not holding like it used to.

- At start up it's running 14.5v (idle or not)

- If playing full tilt at startup voltage stays at or above 13.9v

- After car establish normal tempature idles ~12.8v (~12.6v if I have headlights OFF)

- Playing music at moderate to high volume it drops down to 12.4v

- Rev RPM to 2k voltage up to 14.1v (no music)

- While holding RPM @ 2k & playing music full tilt it drops down to ~12.8v (iirc)

- Drive the car on city streets (~40mph) w/ rpm @ 2-3k and no music, voltage sits at 14.2v

- Play music full tilt drops down to ~12.8v

- Drive the car on the freeway (~70mph) w/ rpm @ 3k and no music, voltage sits at 14.3v - 14.4v

- Plays music full tilt drops down to ~ 13.2v (usually 13.9v is the lowest)

- While driving on either city streets or on freeway: voltage drops as soon as it let go of the gas pedal (down to ~12.8v if I'm sitting at red light)

- Parked with enging completely off: voltage reads 12.9v

- These past two nights, the battery are on my 12v XS inttelicharger with same results.

Now what I've done in the past is attempt Electric Load Detector (ELD) Bypass and felt as it was not working as it should, so I disconnect it and reconnect all the stock wires back to normal. The bypass works similarly to when I have my headlights on, but the engine runs a little rough. So I decieded to pull out the ELD bypass last summer. The voltage issue wasn't apparent until three days ago. Digesting the information above how the car idles lower than what the batter is resting, I'm thinking maybe it's the Alternator that is giving up. But at startup and while the car is in motion (high rpm), it produces above 14v also indicate that the alt is working as it should? But why isn't holding voltage like before? Could it be my ELD module on my ECU that is malfunctioning (it's a stock ECU btw)? My apology for such a long write up... lol. I'm a noob when troubleshooting voltage so if anyone can chime in I'd greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My Build Log- T E A M S U N D O W N A U D I O -

2013 DbDrag WF SS1-2 - 5th Place 154.6db

2013 MECA Mod3 CA State Final Champ 153.4db

Powered by: Sundown Audio

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have your batteries separately load tested

and contact singer or find a GOOD alternator shop that can check it out (not autozone or some parts store)

down rpping vanderbilt. 30 miles from victoria. i own the 3rd loudest setup here out of 3. but i did put together all 3 setups

^^ Cant wait to swalllow Ghost's babies

have your batteries separately load tested

and contact singer or find a GOOD alternator shop that can check it out (not autozone or some parts store)

Thanks. Thinking that might be what it comes down to.... Just emailed Singer.

Powered by: Sundown Audio

Have you checked for belt slip? You can have it even if you don't hear it.

Look around your alt and see if there is a bunch of black dust on it

Dammit you beat me to it! :throwrock:

lol

2012 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 W/ 6 Speed

Build Log

2011 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor 6.2

Build Log

YouTube

Not sure on the slip... What are some indication that it may be slipping?

I unplug all batteries last night and the readings are as follow: D5100r (13.0v); D3100-1 (13.0v); D3100-2 (12.9v). I will check the resting voltage again later today when I get home.