Carbon Fiber. Use this forum to show off your custom parts

Hey guys, something that i don't see here but it's making a huge impact in the car audio or custom install is carbon fibering. There are several different ways of doing this. Many places sell carbon fiber car parts for certain, but not all, cars or parts. So we do the next best thing, making our own. There is Vacuum bagging, mold making and duplicating, and Layup. Layup is the cheapest way to go but requires alot of patience. It is your own parts wrapped in carbon fiber and resin. Here are some pictures of my own Layups and FEEL FREE TO SHOW OFF YOUR OWN OR TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE. Thank You and Enjoy.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not real carbon fiber.... but still counts

Thats questionable. It could be akin to putting say a FI sticker on the dust cap of your pyle sub.

Here is my most recent and most involved work, not yet finished in this pic, this is almost fresh out the mold, with very minimal trimming.

20130329_160925.jpg

It is a fan shroud for a porsche 914. Created from resin infusion.

damn man your work is sick... love what you did with the headliner. I think I may want to CF some of my interior peices after seeing your work :P

you think you might be able to share a link for a how to??? I would really like to try my hand at this, starting with extra interior peices that I will have after my interior swap.

Thats questionable. It could be akin to putting say a FI sticker on the dust cap of your pyle sub.

hey that hurt :( it's a DC lvl 4 12" with an SPL audio recone and spacers

Yes Crandis. First Look up How to wrap your own parts in Carbon Fiber in YouTube. there are several vids on this topic. then find a composite store that sells the fibers and resins you need. Buy what you can afford and start off Really Small untill you get the hang of it. Maybe try it out on an object that you don't really need just in case you fowl up. And Practice

hey that hurt :( it's a DC lvl 4 12" with an SPL audio recone and spacers

lol sorry that might have come off a bit harsh. I come from the "racecar" side of the automotive hobby as well and sometimes get annoyed with the "rice" guys just throwing cf stickers on everything, especially when it doesn't look good like yours does. Real cf has some pretty amazing properties, and of course the look-alikes don't. For example that shroud I made weighed a pound in that rough untrimmed state but was still very stiff short of the flat middle. I feel if you are going to do something in cf, you might as well make a mold for it and make it only cf so you actually get some benefits besides being purely cosmetic.

Archived