Alpine MRV-1505 (big old school amp)

8ight

love the looks of those caps and what not.

I have been looking for replacement stickers, those caps will have to go eventually. Unlike most other components in an amp they do NOT get better with age.

Funny you should mention that...

I have an old school Fosgate Punch200DSM which will soon make an appearance in this section.

I was going to refurb it since I thought the exact same thing (caps dry out and don't last).

Well I went off to Mouser and ordered a bunch of new replacement caps of different sizes and vendors to see which ones I like better.

I pulled the old caps out which were nice Nichicon LQ series which aren't available anymore.

I was curious how bad they were so I tested them on an LCR meter I have at work.

To my utter surprise, the 20yr old Nichicon's still tested better than my brand new replacement caps.... :trippy:

I tried various brands too, Nichicon, Panasonic, Cornell. Same result.

Here's another,

We have an OLD Sorenson DC Power Supply that was built in 1972 (>40yrs old).

Same situation, I was going to refurb it a bit to make it more reliable.

There was a huge Sprague cap on the output that I figured needed replacing.

I researched for replacements and then measured the old Sprague.

Sprague caps were LEGIT back in the day. It even has MADE IN USA stamped into it. :good:

Anyway, I measured it and sure enough, still in spec and better than any replacement I could buy for it.

Caps back in the day were sure made different then they are today.

One would think that they'd have to be a bit dried out, but the numbers didn't lie.

If you do replace those caps, I'd be curious at getting my hands on them and testing them to see how they do (unless you ahve an LCR meter yourself or something similar)?

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been looking for replacement stickers, those caps will have to go eventually. Unlike most other components in an amp they do NOT get better with age.

I have an old school Fosgate Punch200DSM which will soon make an appearance in this section.

I was going to refurb it since I thought the exact same thing (caps dry out and don't last).

Well I went off to Mouser and ordered a bunch of new replacement caps of different sizes and vendors to see which ones I like better.

I pulled the old caps out which were nice Nichicon LQ series which aren't available anymore.

I was curious how bad they were so I tested them on an LCR meter I have at work.

To my utter surprise, the 20yr old Nichicon's still tested better than my brand new replacement caps.... :trippy:

Here's another,

Sprague caps were LEGIT back in the day. It even has MADE IN USA stamped into it. :good:

Anyway, I measured it and sure enough, still in spec and better than any replacement I could buy for it.

One would think that they'd have to be a bit dried out, but the numbers didn't lie.

If you do replace those caps, I'd be curious at getting my hands on them and testing them to see how they do (unless you ahve an LCR meter yourself or something similar)?

I don't have an LCR to do the testing myself or I would. Now that you mention all of this I am curious again... These caps are also old Elna units so I may just keep them around. I believe you have inadvertently given me another quest. Dammit again capacitors. Dammit again modern crap components. One thing that sure blows about being a broke student is the inability to afford test equipment or I'd have lots of it. Can you suggest me a sub $300 LCR, preferably a bench unit?

I'm gonna hate

Here's another,

I don't have an LCR to do the testing myself or I would. Now that you mention all of this I am curious again... These caps are also old Elna units so I may just keep them around. I believe you have inadvertently given me another quest. Dammit again capacitors. Dammit again modern crap components. One thing that sure blows about being a broke student is the inability to afford test equipment or I'd have lots of it. Can you suggest me a sub $300 LCR, preferably a bench unit?

Elna's huh. They really made 'em good back in the day.

I'd bet money that they still measure just fine and are probably better then any new caps you could buy.

Electrolytic's are commonly spec'd with a 20% tolerance and the latest caps I've tested all measure in towards the bottom part of that 20%, even the better caps (Nichicon/Panasonic) which surprised me but I suppose they need to do that to stay competitive with the other lesser quality caps which are consuming the electronics market.

Hmmm, sorry but I don't have any experience with LCR meters in that price range. I wouldn't know how accurate they are.

Mine at work was $12k :o

If you do get one, I'd be happy to measure some reference samples to compare your results to.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just repaired the RCAs in this. I hate floating grounds. :( Don't mount your amp to the box, I can tell that killed these jacks in a previous install.

I'm gonna hate

plexi the bottom and undermount this bitch!

http://www.stevemead...cherokee-build/

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Alpine CDE-hd148bt

Alpine PKG-RSE2

PRV Audio (4) 6MB200 front/rear doors

PRV Audio (4) TW350Ti dash/rear doors

Kicker KX350.4

Obsidian Audio (1) 18 D4 v2

revamp (2) Stereo Integrity HT 18d2
DC Audio 1.2k
5.25ft^3 tuned @34hz

revamp Infinite Baffle Cpillar

AudioTechnix 60mil deadener
KnuKonceptz & SkyHigh wire (complete setup)

stroupe79.jpg

I was wondering the same thing..he has answered so many questions for me through pm. Guess this explains it

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Archived