Sundown Audio

stupid question about stupid thing

dpeebs

okay so i sold a RE audio xt4000 amp to a buddy. he got a walmart 8 gauge wiring kit. the amp takes 0 gauge wiring. i never tested it out but the guy before me said it worked. and nthing inside looks burnt. but we went to hook it up in his car and it goes into protect as soon as the power goes to it, i know the wire is too small but why would it be going into protect? could the wire be to small for the amp? and the subs are brandnew there 4 ohm kicker comps wired to 2 ohms. im just confused because we hooked a ground directly to the battery aswell and it still went straight into protect

That difference in wiring won't make a difference if it isn't playing. Not saying its a good idea. Try it without the speakers hooked up. This will make sure you you didn't wire something wrong or the coils have issues causing it to go into protect.

tl;dr, hook it up with only power/ground/remote to see if it still goes into protect

Without speakers hooked up?

If so, my last suggestion is to use a dmm to check the actual voltage at the amp. If its over 11 or so, you have an amp problem.

Yea. Just to confirm that you are supplying the amp well enough as a last confirmation. As long as you are reasonably close to 12v at the amp it should be able to turn on no matter what wire you are using to hook it up. I said 11v because any decent amp is guaranteed to turn on with 11v. Doesn't have to be 11v. But yes, check it directly at the amp.

so i think i figured out whats wrong with the amp, buddy wanted his money back so i wasnt gunna be a dick so i gave it back. got home opened it up and 4 capasitors inside the amp were like exploded but the jacket around it you can slide up ad down. so tomorrow im gunna see if i can get those fixed and see if it works

Archived