Second Skin Audio

Need help designing a box for 4 12s

2K XJ

I need help designing a box for a friend. The whole porting thing kinda confuses me. We're running 4 Sundown Audio e-12s off a Hifonics Elite BRE2500.1 Its going in his Ford Explorer SUV and he wants to do subs up, port up, if at all possible. I got measurements today and his max dimensions are 41" wide by 18.5" tall and max 33" deep. We want to definatly make it 41" wide and 18.5" tall so it fills up the back from wheel well to opposite wheel well, and we want it 18.5" tall so it sits flush to the height of the back seats. The 33" deep is just a maximum, it will probly need to be less than the full 33" cuz with that dimension it would probly have too much volume for the subs. Sundown recommended specs are 2ft^3 per subs @ 35 hz, but we both really love the lows and are thinking of doing something along the lines of 32hz. I run 3 SA8 V2s on 2400RMS @ 32 hz and 1.8 ft^3 and the 32 hz definatly sounds great so I'm not all that worried about tuning to 32hz instead of 35hz... So anyway I'm not a total noob at car audio, I just don't know all that much about designing boxes. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'd gladly send some money via paypal if your willing to help me out on a good design. Thanks

1999 Jeep Cherokee SportLifted on 31'sPopcorn Sounds AX6000.1 w/ AA 500.1 "THE F1X" board4 Obsidian Audio OA15's

C pillar wall @ 29hz

^^^work in progress^^^

Ram does great designs...but it would be like $30. I've seen plenty of people on here give free designs just cuz they like to do them for other people. My last box design that I'm using in my Jeep now was completely free. I don't mind paying someone for their work...but its for a friend so its not my money to be giving away and I'd rather stay cheap as we're trying to stay under a budget. Hopefully someone will help us out for less than $30 haha

1999 Jeep Cherokee SportLifted on 31'sPopcorn Sounds AX6000.1 w/ AA 500.1 "THE F1X" board4 Obsidian Audio OA15's

C pillar wall @ 29hz

^^^work in progress^^^

Here is a suggestion:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 32.5 Hz
Vb = 8 ft^3

External Height = 18.5 in
External Width = 41 in
External Depth = 28.875 in

Port Width = 26 in
Port Height = 4 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.
* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Top & Bottom (3 parts) = 41 x 28 7/8

Left & Right Sides = 27 3/8 x 16 1/4

Front & Back = 41 x 16 1/4

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 22 1/4 x 27 1/2

Port Left Side Assembly:
22 1/4 x 4
Port Right Side Assembly:
22 1/4 x 4

Assembly guide (generic dimensions):

4x12SUPB_zps24f95d8e.jpg

Important notes:

- All boxes built outside the vehicle need to fit in their way in not just have the right dimensions.

- The port needs 4" of free airspace in front of it for proper operation.

- Setting your amp subsonic filter to 28Hz is suggested.

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2013 at 3:41 PM, 2K XJ said:

I need help designing a box for a friend. The whole porting thing kinda confuses me. We're running 4 Sundown Audio e-12s off a Hifonics Elite BRE2500.1 Its going in his Ford Explorer SUV and he wants to do subs up, port up, if at all possible. I got measurements today and his max dimensions are 41" wide by 18.5" tall and max 33" deep. We want to definatly make it 41" wide and 18.5" tall so it fills up the back from wheel well to opposite wheel well, and we want it 18.5" tall so it sits flush to the height of the back seats. The 33" deep is just a maximum, it will probly need to be less than the full 33" cuz with that dimension it would probly have too much volume for the subs. Sundown recommended specs are 2ft^3 per subs @ 35 hz, but we both really love the lows and are thinking of doing something along the lines of 32hz. I run 3 SA8 V2s on 2400RMS @ 32 hz and 1.8 ft^3 and the 32 hz definatly sounds great so I'm not all that worried about tuning to 32hz instead of 35hz... So anyway I'm not a total noob at car audio, I just don't know all that much about designing boxes. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'd gladly send some money via paypal if your willing to help me out on a good design. Thanks

Are you going to keep all subs in seperste chambers or 2 in 2 ? 

Archived