Second Skin Audio

Modifying my ported box a little? What difference would it make?

subbox.jpg

Hi,

Apologies about the 'MASSIVE' picture.

Basically I'm looking to make a couple of changes to my box to see if it will make it any louder? I'm running 2 15's and still getting pretty mad door flex, in fact my drivers side window has broken since installing this box behind the door card which has developed a nasty rattle! But hey ho, I'm still looking for more bass!

I sketched that picture up quickly, I know it's a little bit of an odd shape... Solid black lines are the 'outlines' of the box shape, grey lines are the internal joins of the box. Yellow is a bit of bracing I've stuck in it and that's how the box currently sits.

If I were to add port lines/walls inside the box (Indicated by the red lines) What would I need to account for, and how would it change the box? Would it change it for better or for worse? Reason being I had this box made and a few people have suggested it isn't ported right and I need port walls rather than just a port exit..?

Thanks in advance!

My current box is as above.

I'll try get a picture uploaded later on after work.

The only things I was going to change is where the red lines are indicated, as they don't currently exist, it's just a box with a port stuck on/in it, rather than walls to create a chamber inside the box.

To find out if that box is big enough to be ported you will need to find out exactly the cubic feet inside the box then we can start just a hole in a box does not make it ported and in most cases a box built as a sealed box for the sub will not work ported cause it will be to small

2001 e 150 conversion van

kenwood kdc u942hd

lanzar opti 1900d

kicker zx 650.4

2 12" obsidians in a 33 hz box

4 set 6x9

2 8" mid woofers

2 almani tweets

200 amp alt

1750 oddesey front

2150 oddessy back

0 ga wire 8 ga sub wire

138,6 db

Hi, thanks for the replies guys.

The box is currently already 'ported', however its like a hollow cuboid, rather than some boxes I've seen which have walls throughout the box from top to bottom which I'm guessing just makes the wavelength a bit longer?

I think it's roughly tuned at between 30-33Hz at the minute..

Subs are Inphase XT15's, Amp is an IPA2400 (Bridged) @ 2 Ohm, and car is a Vauxhall/Opel Corsa with the back seats stripped out for the box.

Give us pics of the actual box please. I fear your box isn't actually ported. You don't just guess what you're tuned to..You calculate it. If you say your port walls don't extend into the box, what you effectively have is a sealed box with a big hole in it. So to get you any help we need EXACT box dimensions, and/or pictures of what the box looks like. If you're wondering how to get pics in here, put them on a photo sharing site like Photobucket and paste the IMG tag here in a text box.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Give us pics of the actual box please. I fear your box isn't actually ported. You don't just guess what you're tuned to..You calculate it. If you say your port walls don't extend into the box, what you effectively have is a sealed box with a big hole in it. So to get you any help we need EXACT box dimensions, and/or pictures of what the box looks like. If you're wondering how to get pics in here, put them on a photo sharing site like Photobucket and paste the IMG tag here in a text box.

Thanks for the reply!

I didn't guess what it's tuned to, basically when me and a friend were building the box, we fuc*ed up a couple of cuts so had to cut a little extra off on some panels making the volume slightly less, which is why I 'guessed' at the frequency.. It pretty much is a sealed box with a big hole in it, but it's not exactly a hole, it's got a panel going back into the box slightly.. its difficult to explain haha.. It's sort of like a HUGE aero port (But is rectangular..) I'll try to get some pictures up.. ahha Thanks! :)

Archived