Sonic Electronix

SOOOOOO I got a question

I have a Rf T3000 and 18"BTL with all the options and dual 2ohm coils wired in Parralel. I followed the amplifier gain tutorial and set the maximum voltage @ 61.7 Roughly 3700 watts.I set this with the HZ @ 50 and the Bass knob ALL the way up with the deck volume on 3/4,Playing a 60Hz Test Tone. How would I know if my speaker is clipping if the BTLs are known to handle more than 3k (Best example Steves Tahoe) and im right on the money when i set the voltage/gain comin from my amp?

Edited by smokeumtires
TeamDeadlyHertz-smokeumtires.png

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MegaloManiac
SOOOOOO I got a question

I have a Rf T3000 and 18"BTL with all the options and dual 2ohm coils wired in Parralel. I followed the amplifier gain tutorial and set the maximum voltage @ 61.7 Roughly 3700 watts.I set this with the HZ @ 50 and the Bass knob ALL the way up with the deck volume on 3/4,Playing a 60Hz Test Tone. How would I know if my speaker is clipping if the BTLs are known to handle more than 3k (Best example Steves Tahoe) and im right on the money when i set the voltage/gain comin from my amp?

To be honest and upfront, you should never use a DMM to set your gains when you are running that kind of power. Find a shop to do it and make sure they use an O-scope, or you find a way to use an O-scope.

It is easy to hear clipping if you are playing a sine wave.

not true, I bet you cant tell the difference when you start to clip due to harmonics, its only when you start clipping bad you can tell to the ear.

Cha-ching, he's in the money. Pre-amplifier stage distortion will not harm your loudspeakers. Also, thank-you Megalo for going that one step further and conducting experiments and displaying the evidence to the forum. No-one can argue with the proof you delivered.

Cheers,

Mick

I should have took it a step further and used that same clipped signal test tone I posted and run the test. But I was trying to prove that an underpowered clean signal wont do anything.

Edited by MegaloManiac

To be honest and upfront, you should never use a DMM to set your gains when you are running that kind of power. Find a shop to do it and make sure they use an O-scope, or you find a way to use an O-scope.

Where could I get one??? Would Home Depot have it? Radio Shack?

TeamDeadlyHertz-smokeumtires.png

Where could I get one??? Would Home Depot have it? Radio Shack?

Parts-Express might have one.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

preamplifier clipping wont do anything to harm a driver like a cd or radio correct

but suppose that clipped signal goes into an amplifier wont it just come out as an amplified clipped signal?

i cant grasp the concept that clipping from an underpowered amp wont kill ur sub

alright lemme give u a scenario

u have an 18" BTL, it can handle loads of power... if u have a 500w amp and u have the gains turned up all the way up it wont be putting out the 2000 rms needed by the sub correct? and ur tellin me that the BTL will not be harmed?

Megalo and Micky i need this to be very clear. help me pleez

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz