Homemade Super-Neo Woofer: THE CHEVELLE RESTORATION IS DONE, dampener recommendations??

Nylon rope can be used to filll that gap between the coil and "cone".

Id use a different type of glue then what comes in a tube, something more runny (ca glue would be perfect), otherwise even a bunch of super glue. It would soak into the rope and once cured be hard as a rock.

Digital Designs has been using rope for years and rears around the joint where the cone connects to the voice coil former. Other companies have plastic/nylon rings made to fit snug around the coil former and then glued to the cone/coil.

Both are ways of reinforcing the connection between the 2.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nylon rope can be used to filll that gap between the coil and "cone".

Id use a different type of glue then what comes in a tube, something more runny (ca glue would be perfect), otherwise even a bunch of super glue. It would soak into the rope and once cured be hard as a rock.

Digital Designs has been using rope for years and rears around the joint where the cone connects to the voice coil former. Other companies have plastic/nylon rings made to fit snug around the coil former and then glued to the cone/coil.

Both are ways of reinforcing the connection between the 2.

LOL FIRST THINGS FIRST;

THATSWASIS_zps58f8a27e.gif

But more seriously;

Hell yeah finally some advice! Awesome man! I'll be sure to pick some rope up before I start. But just so you know, locktite PL premium is crazy. it dries like a rock, not like caulking which sorta remains rubery. I tried doing some runny glue, and it was just a mess because the cone isn't porous so it doesnt stick well. But the PL SHOULD work, and if not I'll try your idea of super glue. Thanks again man!

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

for spider you can use rubber tarp straps, or lots of big rubber bands.

Teflon sheeting is a good idea around the neo's to avoid the coil sliding against them if alignment is an issue.

Yeah, I've basically been out of ideas for the spider still so I'm still planning on rubber bands.

I think the coils will be alright once their magnetized, and i tried to do one layer of electrical tape around them and it was too thick and blocked the coil lol.

How thin do you think I can get some teflon?

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

i wouldnt use rubber bands if i were you

the main purpose of the spider is to keep the coil in from rocking side to side during excursion

i cant imagine rubber bands would be very good at that

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

i wouldnt use rubber bands if i were you

the main purpose of the spider is to keep the coil in from rocking side to side during excursion

i cant imagine rubber bands would be very good at that

Damn, if I had seen this before I left....................................

Too late unfortunately, I tried a rubber glove, didn't work. Wouldn't stay down with glue.

The rubber bands are going to be tot as they can be though. I'm gonna stretch them down the side of the box, and hook them around screws. That's my work for tomorrow at least. Today I finished up the basket, glued the magnets in, and got the cone glued onto the VC.

I missed Alan.

Cant wait to see this turn out, really cool stuff man. Keep it coming!

The spot with least resistance LOL.

I would ground to a rubber dildo if it had less resistance than a run of 4/0 wiring.

how many poeple work there 3 or 4 lol

At crescendo HQ? probably 2-3

At the sweatshop in china? 30,000 children

No Engine

So heres the update:

My boss helped me out today, he's got wayyyy more tools and machinery than I do, so it made the whole process easier. First we tried attaching cone to voicecoil, and he had the great idea of putting on rubber insulated with metal, not sure what it's called, but it hooks onto thin stuff. It fit like a glove, then the voicecoil slid right in, and we glued it perfectly straight, it was sooo lucky. Then of course like the morons we are, put the magnets in to see how it fit, and *ZAP* the steel inside the cable stuck to it, so we had to peel it all off and remove all the glue. I was dying to find something to stabilize it......................when by PURE LUCK, we come across one of those plastic rings that has the hole in it to run wires through a desk. It fit perfectly. luck of the irish right there. So ingeniously To keep them as rigid as possible, I figured it would be best to tie them around the plastic, and I tied them to themselves then ran them on the outside below the cone, and then filled in the locktite PL to seal it all up.

For the magnet housing, I wanted something that could protect them and be large enough to mount the basket on, so I glued to pieces of MDF to a 4x4 we found on the ground, then we cut a 2.5"inch hole in the middle of it to fit the pole in. Then we glue the whole thing together to get all of this:

010-5_zpsfcbc47bc.jpg

012-4_zps72bd27af.jpg

013-5_zpsa3e8137c.jpg

014-7_zps250c88df.jpg

015-4_zpsb317e112.jpg

017-4_zpsd6ce6977.jpg

I mean how lucky is this fit? I mean......really......look at that....

016-4_zpsc0a15ff1.jpg

This was the rubber glove that ended up not working out......

018-3_zps2e8d622f.jpg

019-3_zps61b74f15.jpg

020-4_zps12c362bb.jpg

021-3_zps0cf1ba21.jpg

026-6_zps93a91b17.jpg

027-6_zpsea6b7669.jpg

028-4_zpsdc8062b6.jpg

029-5_zpsfc559ba9.jpg

I missed Alan.

Hahaha this thing looks diabolical (in a good way)

What do you plan on doing to stop the leads from contacting the metal bowl?

What do you plan on doing to stop the leads from contacting the metal bowl?

Use electrical tape. lol. I hadn't thought about it when I bought it lol

I missed Alan.

Archived