Sundown Audio

I would suggest more power no matter what you do. I ran 3 e8s off a BRZ2100 (Hifonics) at 1.3 ohms and they needed more power. I thought I was running them hard til I hooked up a friends 3kw amp (not saying brand). We had to turn his gain all the way down and they were absolutely banging. With my amp, the gain was set using a dmm (not perfect but better than guessing) and the gain was about 3/4 up. His amp turned all the way down was louder than mine, and ran the subs better.

I like hifonics, and am still running mine right now, but you DO get what you pay for lol. If my 3 e8s needed more than the brz 2100, your 4 SA 8s will need more than 2 1100.1s

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

Lol, yep. On my amp the gain is set at roughly (not clear markings) 3V (3/4 gain as I am closer to 2.5 I think). On his amp, the gain was set closer to 9V (all the way down)....

Since both of our amps have identical gain setting, and my head unit was used in both tests... I feel comfortable saying that his amp turned all the way down, was louder than my amp at 3/4 gain. Does this not make sense?

I am not smart enough to say how much power his amp should make at 9V on the gain knob, but I know that mine should have been making somewhere around 1500-1700W with my electrical. And it was clear that his was making more.

The point to this was that the e8 subs easily handled more power than my amp could put out.. The equipment that OP is looking at using makes less power than mine and he is using stronger subs... Therefore I suggested more power. You can be a dick and tear me down for the science behind it, but I am still right. No?

And I am sure that OP thanks you for your helpful post.. No wonder your post count is so high.

Edited by ncochran

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

Build log

Lol keep digging. The box for the e8s was built to Sundown's specs.. But that still doesn't change the fact that he will want to use more power than the 2 1100.1 Hifonics amps to run 4 SA 12s.... I think most anyone here will agree with that statement. I guess he could build a box that would reduce the power handling of the SA 8s, but why would he? If he build the box to specs (which most people do).. They will handle more power than he will be giving them.

That is not to say it won't sound good, or meet his needs. I am just saying that the SA 8s can and will handle more power than he has available from those amplifiers. I will say no more about this. He can build what he wants based off whatever advice he wants. I was just trying to provide some advice (you should have done the same rather than just trolling me). Lets call this pissing match over..

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

Build log

thats the problem here with you and a majority of this forum. you dont HAVE to feed a sub over RMS in order to get everything out of a sub. Why throw more power at something (spend more money) when you can build a box thats going to give the absolute most (less money).

I'm helping the OP in the way, that some dudes telling him something thats not necessarily true to his situation. Your e8's Don't (need) more power, furthermore lets say those e8s are getting 400rms each, which i would hope your amp has no issue giving you given the correct box they should be more then enough.

I'll ALWAY'S recommend box over recommending more power.

Plus it seems like you cannot fathom how a gain pot works. Those numbers on your amp are a generaliztion of where it might by, on some amps youd be real surprised how far off that pot could be.

Maybe buy yourself some tools (IMSG, DD1, CC1) therefore you can take the guess work out of those tunings, and you can give the op a more educated response as to how he can better the situation.

For the op.

Since you already have the equipment, i'd use what you have, and just hope that your box guy is familiar with the power you will be giving them and the vehicle arrangement that they will be used in. Answering your question directly is very hard since we do not know what voice coil configuration that you have or even the electrical your vehicle has in order to sustain the output of a potential 2k rms system.