Sonic Electronix

LOL I know. The guy at the dealer put 14g wire on the two middle terminals, and on one of the subs it had broken/rattled free. The sub terminal to box terminals were 10g. I don't know if that makes any difference but I want to assume the blackened bottom coils are why they sounded like "bottoming" at certain freq. They didn't always sound that way. 2 things I can make a guess on, didn't break the suspension in fully before I threw all 500 at them and/or clipping. While clipping the signal delivered to the subs isn't stable and may have sent spikes high enough to overheat the bottom ones enough to cause this. So in reality, those are only 250w/coil RMS. and a constant signal strain could be just enough. 1500 max/pc (or so the speakers claim)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could have psi rebuild those woofers. If they won't cover your warranty. check it out regardless.

98' dodge ram

140A alt

Big 3

XS D2700

JVC kd-r310

Rockford T500-1BDCP

2 Sundown E12 Ported 4cubes 35hz

Rockford P400-4

2 Infinity reference 3way 6x9

2 Polk DB 5 1/4

2x layer dynamat all doors

The dealer has warranty that covers everything but puncture. Going up today to exchange them. New amp is on the list. If I have an amp that puts out more than the rms of subs, I can always turn the amp down. New box too, just need to figure out a design befitting the specs on the subs. Probably around 30hz instead of 42 lolz. And a half cube more per hole. Should I run the subs separately in the enclosure or both on one port?

http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t614/jfalk1417/20130612_0605081_zps8e6072d9.jpg

http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t614/jfalk1417/20130612_0559131_zpsd092c66d.jpg

This is why my subs sound like doodoo. How is this possible when I'm only running 500 watts RMS through 2 subs? Subs are dual 2 ohm 500 RMS each. Amp is 500 RMS @ 2 ohm. Good thing there's a warranty on them. (They are wired at 2 ohm btw)

Ouch on the black coils. But to answer your question on the rms. your amp puts out 500rms at 2ohms times 1. So since you are running 2 subs off that 500rms you need to divide 500 by 2 so each sub is getting 250rms. Your amp does not count how many subs you have attached to it all it knows is that there is a 2ohm load so it puts out 500rms and it gets split equally at the subs. ( if I am wrong please some one correct me) but to property power those a 1000rms( actuall power) or 1200rms amp would be good.

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Ouch on the black coils. But to answer your question on the rms. your amp puts out 500rms at 2ohms times 1. So since you are running 2 subs off that 500rms you need to divide 500 by 2 so each sub is getting 250rms. Your amp does not count how many subs you have attached to it all it knows is that there is a 2ohm load so it puts out 500rms and it gets split equally at the subs. ( if I am wrong please some one correct me) but to property power those a 1000rms( actuall power) or 1200rms amp would be good.

This^^^

Would it be obtuse to say clipping done in the coils? Dealer said I am putting plenty of power to them, I think he just wanted to sell the amp.

I would say yes there had to be clipping or some kind of distortion in the system. Did you have it tuned with a dd-1 or oscilloscope? And one thing I have learned is dont listen to dealers (at least the ones around me).

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

I asked him (the dealer) and they don't use an o-scope. Interesting, huh? Well, the subs are on warranty exchange now for type-S's and the amp on exchange for the Alpine MRX-M110 instead of the Pioneer. 750 RMS each on the subs and 1100 RMS on the amp. Will still be set up as 2 ohm. At least this time, I can run those at a more stable level and possibly get a little more out of it all....instead of having to beat the amp to get anything worth the $. So (his prices) I spent 680$ on the 2 type-R's, a box, and the Pioneer amp. 180$ more and I can get more power and be more stable, no bass knob this time. This coming Monday :)

Should I run these woofers in separate ported holes or together with one port? And what spec in the manual am I looking for as far as tuning the port goes?

Bad exchange here's why

Type s 99 on sonic

Type r 169

Type s 500 rms

Type r 600 rms.

Just in the price alone there fucking you

141 on music.

Bit too late in the game to worry abt $. I know I effed up to begin with. The type r rate an extra 250 rms each over the type s. And I'm gaining 500 rms more from the new amp. And im only payin extra 180$ for new stuff with full warranties. I'm sure in a better built box I should get better response.....well hopefully. If I had done more research, most likely could have ended up with better period. But I suppose that's how we all learn lol. Next year is gonna be a more planned out and better setup, and no shit ass dealer. For sure.

Actually, those type S aren't that bad. Well for me it wasn't but I was running a type S sealed on around 500 watts and I beat the shiznit out of it for a lot of years until it finally gave up to a mechanical failure. The coils were still nice looking. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by those subs on that amp.

Archived