Second Skin Audio

Alright folks ill try to keep it as short and sweet as possible, im doing this from my phone so bear with me.

I recently designed and built a 4th order with 2 Soundqubed sdc 2.5 10's on an apsm 1500 wired to 1 ohm. specs are as follows 1.17cu sealed 2.15 cu ported tuned to 54 and about 40sq in of port. The damn thing is tuned too high for my liking but this is my first attempt at a 4th order so its too be expected that i did something wrong.

This box has a range of about 35-60hz, yesturday at a comp i peaked at 58hz and did a 137.7. when he told me my peak i about shot myself when the judge said 58 hz. As a guy who enjoys his Decaf 58hz is considered a sware word lol Anyways i would like to bring my tuning down the next time i build a box like this. first step would obviously be to tune more twards 45hz. But as to finding the correct size to build the sealed part i am lost. i know it has to be bigger but by how much? im trying to get my playable range into the 27-47hz area because my current box doent get low like id like it to, while it sounds great it falls flat on its face when i play anything below like 35 hz.

couldent post this because of my phone but I will be upgrading to 4 10's and 2 1500's strapped and i would like suggestions and constructive criticizm as to how i can get what im looking for out of the next 4th order i build which will most likely be for 4 10's. im not really a numbers freak i just like doing Bass race and do DB drag for shits and giggles. Basically i want to gain my low end back. im very willing to sacrifice my 50-60 hz range in exchange for that low end extension. 6th orders were also being thrown around by people i talked to at this comp, they said my subs would be happier in a 6th order but I have really no clue how a 6th order works. Thanks in Advance im just new to this whole 4th order thing and im willing to learn.

Why 4th order? 4 10s on that power in a nice ported box tuned in the low 30s should do exactly what you are asking for. The specs of the sdc2.5 dont really lend themselves to a nice low playing 4th and if you had trouble getting a 4th order to play how you would like, a 6th order is going to be that much more difficult to get correct.

Team NorthWestSPL

The low end extension from a 4th order bandpass enclosure comes from the sealed side for the most part, if the sealed side is to small or misaligned with the port you will have issues.

Post up a picture of the enclosure please, so I can see what the configuration is.

Also, the front chamber tuning seems little high. When I build 4th order band-passes I generally tune around 40-45Hz for the front chamber, while using a 2-1 or 2.5-1 ratio with the chambers. The almost always peak in the low 50Hz range, but stay pretty flat response wise down into the 20Hz range.

TEAM SOUTH Bassahaulic Productions

The ONLY Bright Atlantic Blue DiamondBoxx L

Drew Jones
Bassahaulic Productions

4 SSA ZCON 15"s
2 Sundown SCV-6000's
6 AGM G31's

161.6 @ 40Hz Outlaw
159.8 @ 36Hz Legal

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

i have always been facinated by 4th orders. the loudest setups i have been in have been 4th orders. When done right they are very efficent. I dont really know exactly why i want a 4th order. Maybe the complexity fascinates me, or maybe im just looking for another way to play lower, louder lol Anyways my Ears and mind are open to learn.

When you build the sealed side, use a smd im-sg to figure where it is resonate at, the tube the ported side to where your sealed box peaks. And I believe aq subs like port.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

i have always been facinated by 4th orders. the loudest setups i have been in have been 4th orders. When done right they are very efficent. I dont really know exactly why i want a 4th order. Maybe the complexity fascinates me, or maybe im just looking for another way to play lower, louder lol Anyways my Ears and mind are open to learn.

Fair enough, as long as you know there are other options.

You should have all the answers you need in this thread already, your old 4th was too small in the sealed section and tuned too high to play the range you want. Try a larger sealed side and tune closer to the mid 40s. Ideally you want your sealed fb to match your ported tune. This is difficult to predict so you need a way to measure it, hence the im-sg mentioned above.

Team NorthWestSPL

thanks much. you were conferming what i thought, bigger sealed portion,lower ported tuning. sq subs love port 16sq in per cube is the norm for a regular ported box and in a bandpass i am told you can get away with more. its nice to know that i am on the right track. now what is im-sg?

Archived