16-Band EQ (80PRS) Setup, Songs or Tones? SQ Guys?

Like it mentioned in the video I used a pink noise sweep from 20-20k but that was after I played with the eq for a couple weeks. Remember that the app isn't very accurate without a proper mic and rta is only good for finding peaks and valleys and adjusting them properly. After it is relatively flat you'll want to adjust your eq again to your liking because a car that is flat on the rta sounds like ass. If you have any nulls in freq. response or "Valleys" that need more than 6db boost I would start looking at the components for issues. Setting gains properly makes a big difference as well. It is all well and good to use a dd-1 but the peak output of the amplifier isn't always what you will need to maintain the balance. There is also the possibility of it not distorting but still raising the noise floor. If you use PA gear it is much more noticeable due to the speakers sensitivity.

There are several ways you can tune but I would go through this checklist.

1. Set the crossovers on the amp or in your case the HU.

2. Level match the gains so the output is even across the freq. spectrum.

3. Listen to just the tweeters and listen for how they imaging and stage. If it images low or to far to either side adjust the polarity and see if this improves staging and depth.

4. Repeat the process with your midranges and midbass if you run 3 way+sub.

Once you have the staging and imaging down you can worry about tonality. You will tackle that with eq...and T/A should be the last thing you should do. Speaker placement should give you a good step in the right direction.

5. There are a couple ways you can do the next step but what I did was use the app on my tablet and ran the full freq. sweep and wrote on a piece of paper where the peaks and valleys were. I had two large peaks in the midbass region and 1-3.5k. Every vehicle will be different due to cabin size and shape and speakers used.but most cars have a midbass hump that will need some moderate eq'ing. It definitely made my system more articulate and cleaner.

6. Make small adjustments and run the sweeps again until it is relatively flat.

7. Once this is done put in a piece of music that you are very familiar that is well recorded and make small adjustments. I found that it is better to listen to this song or songs you use to do eq'ing on a pair of nice headphones or a home reference system before you start. Most of it will be experimentation until you get familiar with what instrument or voice corresponds with a certain freq. Since you have 15 bands per side I would mirror them until you get the sound you like.

8. The adjustments need to be 1-2 db at a time. I've tried larger cuts but I found that it "shocked" my ears and threw the whole process off.

9. Make sure you listen to the whole song and not just the dynamic passages that are giving you trouble. Write down any impressions that you have and record the adjustments so you can look back on them if you boost or cut something and don't like the sound afterwards.

10. After this you can do any minor time alignment adjustments that you want but it shouldn't be much.

11. There will be an "oh shit" or revelation moment after you do these steps and it will be like listening to all your music for the first time again but that will pass. lol There may be music that you liked before that you may not like now and vice versa. Sometimes hearing music the way an artist intended is a double-edged sword.

You will continue to make small adjustments and there will be times that you will get back in your car and say "What the hell was I thinking"; in terms of adjusting something but it is all part of the process. It is important to take several breaks during the process regardless of listening fatigue and never rely on one song to do all your tuning.

I used tracks like

"Hotel California"

"the tourist" by Sarah Jarosz

"A call to arms" Glory soundtrack

"nullo in pax sincera" from the Shine soundtrack. It's in my video ^^ at 9:05

"Blueberry Pancakes" by Fink

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

song i use is Spanish Harlem by Rebecca Pidgeon found on the ultimate demonstration disk by chesky records ....

listen for her S's try to make them sound as natural as possible ... the whole disk is good!

Like it mentioned in the video I used a pink noise sweep from 20-20k but that was after I played with the eq for a couple weeks. Remember that the app isn't very accurate without a proper mic and rta is only good for finding peaks and valleys and adjusting them properly. After it is relatively flat you'll want to adjust your eq again to your liking because a car that is flat on the rta sounds like ass. If you have any nulls in freq. response or "Valleys" that need more than 6db boost I would start looking at the components for issues. Setting gains properly makes a big difference as well. It is all well and good to use a dd-1 but the peak output of the amplifier isn't always what you will need to maintain the balance. There is also the possibility of it not distorting but still raising the noise floor. If you use PA gear it is much more noticeable due to the speakers sensitivity.

There are several ways you can tune but I would go through this checklist.

1. Set the crossovers on the amp or in your case the HU.

2. Level match the gains so the output is even across the freq. spectrum.

3. Listen to just the tweeters and listen for how they imaging and stage. If it images low or to far to either side adjust the polarity and see if this improves staging and depth.

4. Repeat the process with your midranges and midbass if you run 3 way+sub.

Once you have the staging and imaging down you can worry about tonality. You will tackle that with eq...and T/A should be the last thing you should do. Speaker placement should give you a good step in the right direction.

5. There are a couple ways you can do the next step but what I did was use the app on my tablet and ran the full freq. sweep and wrote on a piece of paper where the peaks and valleys were. I had two large peaks in the midbass region and 1-3.5k. Every vehicle will be different due to cabin size and shape and speakers used.but most cars have a midbass hump that will need some moderate eq'ing. It definitely made my system more articulate and cleaner.

6. Make small adjustments and run the sweeps again until it is relatively flat.

7. Once this is done put in a piece of music that you are very familiar that is well recorded and make small adjustments. I found that it is better to listen to this song or songs you use to do eq'ing on a pair of nice headphones or a home reference system before you start. Most of it will be experimentation until you get familiar with what instrument or voice corresponds with a certain freq. Since you have 15 bands per side I would mirror them until you get the sound you like.

8. The adjustments need to be 1-2 db at a time. I've tried larger cuts but I found that it "shocked" my ears and threw the whole process off.

9. Make sure you listen to the whole song and not just the dynamic passages that are giving you trouble. Write down any impressions that you have and record the adjustments so you can look back on them if you boost or cut something and don't like the sound afterwards.

10. After this you can do any minor time alignment adjustments that you want but it shouldn't be much.

11. There will be an "oh shit" or revelation moment after you do these steps and it will be like listening to all your music for the first time again but that will pass. lol There may be music that you liked before that you may not like now and vice versa. Sometimes hearing music the way an artist intended is a double-edged sword.

You will continue to make small adjustments and there will be times that you will get back in your car and say "What the hell was I thinking"; in terms of adjusting something but it is all part of the process. It is important to take several breaks during the process regardless of listening fatigue and never rely on one song to do all your tuning.

I used tracks like

"Hotel California"

"the tourist" by Sarah Jarosz

"A call to arms" Glory soundtrack

"nullo in pax sincera" from the Shine soundtrack. It's in my video ^^ at 9:05

"Blueberry Pancakes" by Fink

Thank you, thank you. For the info and the tracks.

song i use is Spanish Harlem by Rebecca Pidgeon found on the ultimate demonstration disk by chesky records ....

listen for her S's try to make them sound as natural as possible ... the whole disk is good!

I do have that song, but from iTunes. Ill look into that CD.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

My main concern right now is tuning the lower frequencies, for the subs. EQ'ing them is totally new to me. So far, i've found that I have to drop the 50hz band 2-3db's, otherwise the kicks hit too hard(like somebody knocking on wood real hard, not a good sound). But then I lose a little on bass lines in the 40's. I could drop the lpf to 50(63 now) and mess with the slope on it and the mid-hpf. I don't know, its gonna take some time.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

on my 80prs i have the lpf set at 50 and hpf 50hz all 12db slope

from what i have been learning is trying to get the EQ to have kind of a curve to it no drastic jumps so say 20hz - 0 32hz +1 50hz +2 80hz +1 120hz 0 200hz - 1 400hz -2 ecy ect

dont want to have any EQ like 20hz -2 32hz + 2 50hz -1 ect you get the idea

My main concern right now is tuning the lower frequencies, for the subs. EQ'ing them is totally new to me. So far, i've found that I have to drop the 50hz band 2-3db's, otherwise the kicks hit too hard(like somebody knocking on wood real hard, not a good sound). But then I lose a little on bass lines in the 40's. I could drop the lpf to 50(63 now) and mess with the slope on it and the mid-hpf. I don't know, its gonna take some time.

Eq'ing subs really changes the game. It can completely change the way a system sounds. I cut 50 hz quite a bit but like to turn it up on some decaf. hehe The lower you cross your subs the more work the midbass will have to do. It just takes time to get the right balance but you'll get it.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Let me at the deck Ken :P I would like to have a shot at tuning this also if you need another set of ears.

formerly known as Blue86f150

its a 4th order just because its tuned in the 40z doesnt mean it wont reach down and jiggle your balls at sub 30 hz frequencies.

Regardless if they were dipped platinum and were stuffed in Beyonce's twat.....way too fucking exspensive

this sux camel dicks

Im thinking 50hz and a heavy slope on the subs. Don't care for that 60-80 range(from teh subs) anyway. Then the mids at 63hz with a 12-18 slope, don't want them going too low.

Just thinking out loud guys, making notes of things to try tomorrow. I am replacing the AQ3500 with the AB750.1, so getting the subs right will be priority. Don't need fucked up Mayhems.

Scott, anytime man. You going to the meet-up on Sunday? I may or may not be, don't like the heat LOL.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

some good advice.... tune with songs you listen to on the daily.... although the ones advised are great material, your ear may NOT be the same but it is a good starting point .... plus you can always reset and start over.... right?

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

Archived