DC Sound Lab

Well i'm out to sea for another five months and i just got orders to instructor duty meaning i'll be leaving VA and going down to FL, well as of now i have had my two 18XLm1s running off my 5k and i love it but they take up a massive amount of room behind my 2nd row. Of course with the driving i have to do i'd like to downgrade a little but still get that big sound. The wow factor of having 18s is what i love as they make 15s look very small. Well i was planning on doing a dc7.5 and three 15Xls upon me returning in November but now that i'm moving and seeing i have to drive all that stuff down there in my truck i decided to keep my 5k (save money) and just downsize my box and save a lil space in the back as i can. I'd like to keep it somewhat loud but can't figure out what i should go with next We know the 18s take 6 cu ft each, lot of space huh, yeh it is! my thoughts are........

1. three 12s lvl 4m2 (would save a ton of space but not sure of how loud it'll really get)

2. three 15s lvl 4m2 (i'm sure will sound louder than the two 18XLs)

3. two 15xlm2s. (thought smaller than the 18xlm1s they now can take a lil more juice)

Remember my DC5k will power either of these very well and i know either setup will save me a lil bit more space than what i already have and yet get loud. so help me out guys, i have 5 more months before i hit home and only two months at home and i want to have everything ordered and installed before i left in Feb. Give me your thoughts and by the way i drive an 04 Expedition.

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

3 12s would do nicely. Less space and still get plenty of output

DC SOUND LAB NUT HUGGER

Currently Own
4 - 18" lvl 6s (m3) w/full Carbon Fiber option

2 - DC 5k

lvl 4 motor

lvl 2 motor

On 8/2/2013 at 8:13 PM, n8ball2013 said:

this is much worse. Its old n8 without the time or patience to hold fucking hands. I'm supposed to be doing school work but yet here i am making sure jr fuck fuck isn't trying to poke the other kids with a stick.

Trying to save space but still get the punch you are looking for, I would go with a pair of m2 XL 15s. The 3 12s option would do as well, but I would personally prefer the pair of XL 15s.

Let me know if you have any questions, I will be glad to help with anything I can.

Preciate the replied fellas. Ya know the three 12s would save a good amount of space and even with the 15s it'll save more than a few cu ft also. I'm eager to see how the new M2 models will hold up period so i'm quite excited to do my next purchase. I'll truly miss the wow factor of 18s but i'm sure three 12s or 15s will get just as loud in the right enclosure which is something i'll be working next, so far i think subs up, port back will be a start.

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

lvl 6 15

DC SOUND LAB NUT HUGGER

Currently Own
4 - 18" lvl 6s (m3) w/full Carbon Fiber option

2 - DC 5k

lvl 4 motor

lvl 2 motor

On 8/2/2013 at 8:13 PM, n8ball2013 said:

this is much worse. Its old n8 without the time or patience to hold fucking hands. I'm supposed to be doing school work but yet here i am making sure jr fuck fuck isn't trying to poke the other kids with a stick.

one lvl 6 18 on 5k at 15.3 volts!!! hmmmm. idk ...... i'm sure with the right enclosure it would sound good. I went through the one sub delemna back in 2006, don't wanna name the brand but they were 600 rms 12 inch subs .... i sold them and upgraded to the same brand but it was one 12 that took double the RMS .... to say it sounded ok but not as loud as the two lower RMS subs. I guess I'm a stay with two or three subs and we'll see. I guess if i heard the lvl 6 in person against 3 lvl 4s or something i could make a more firm decision. Time will determine what i do.

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

Audiocontrol 3.1.

My 2 cents:

The volume needed to single 15" is about as 2 12's, why not considering 4 12"s instead of 3? for example, 4 12" lvl 4's need less volume that 2 15's level 4 or XL's.

Also, when comparing subwoofers on the same power, Generally more cone area and more volume would be louder than thess than both, 2 18's in big box would probably be louder than 2 15's in smaller box.

Therefore another good idea would be having 2 15's level 5 (which are very efficient/sensitive) or (4) 12's level 4 which would have the nearest cone area to 2 18's and would save much space, so when the time comes and money flowes you can upgrade your amplifier.

ya know srool, i'd love to do four lvl 4 12s over the three 12/15s truly. I have around $1200 or so i want to spend on the subs and heck i have a full sheet of MDF, plenty of screws and resin at home right now. But with four lvl 4m2s at 1400 rms each (5600rms for all four lvl 4m2s) and that means my 5k wouldn't really cut it, then again i'm running it at 15.3 with really no voltage drop now so i'll be pushing it trying to give each 1400rms and yeh i could just upgrade amps a lil later in which that DC7.5 is next ..... but then i face the issue of selling whatever i choose (three lvl 4 12/15s, or two 15xls) once i upgrade to the 7.5k.

So i'll think on it so the three or four lvl 4s will stay on the table or either the two 15xls. i've even thought about doing four lvl 3 12s although i'd be overpowering them a good bit (only by 350 rms......... also purchasing new coilovers/springs to lower my truck and a new set of 24s(not doing the 6s anymore) along with replacing the kinetik upfront for a xs power d6500 so yeh $$$ is the only thing that'll stop me from doing four lvl 4s.

Edited by dmanson

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

Audiocontrol 3.1.