My skar 1500.1 clamp test result.

I clamped my skar 1500.1. I did not do a burp and use peak hold like some people do. I had the engine running at idle, played the track from the dd-1 test disc that i used to set the gains and went to my unclipped full volume.

The tone played for about 30 seconds while I walked around the car back to the meters. I noticed the the amperage slowly rose to 8.76 and held steady there for the whole test.

So the tone was 40hz and the voltage at the amp was 14v The amp was wired to 2ohms

The output was 45.1V and the amperage was 8.76amps

So that makes my load at the amp 5.14ohms and the wattage 395 watts.

By that math I believe the amp should do 500 @ 40hms like it is rated. Even though I was at 14v not 14.4.

When i wire down, and get the electical upgraded I will clamp again and see what it does.

I know that clamping isn't the most accurate method, but It is close enough for most of us.

Waiting for damore to post his video as a response

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

Waiting for damore to post his video as a response

You mean how clamping is inaccurate because amperage doesn't follow voltage exactly?

If that is the one then yes, i mentioned that. But, I think that is from people using peak/hold more than people using this method. Either way I am happy with the results.

wattage sounds right for the impedance.

the only reason I know of for this method to be inaccurate is because the meters read at a certain frequency. so playing a 40hz tone while the meter works at (for example) 50hz, you don't get accurate readings. but close enough is close enough. after all, this is all for fun.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

hmmm maybe send the amp to steve to have it truely tested

If i could afford shipping i would. Also you missed the thread earlier by SKAR with another clamp test with the gain at "half". I asked them to actually set the gains right and try again or send an amp to be Dyno'd. They said they were doing that. So hopefully we will see some real world results soon. (edit:) what happened to that thread anyway? i posted and logged out)

I agree that this method is not perfect, but until the AD-1 we were all fine with clamp test results. I am all for accuracy, but this method is fine for the layman.

Also, i have seen more than one company use this crap of "gain at half" then clamping. If you can afford to manufacture amps you can afford an oscilloscope or dd-1 and do it right. The AD-1 is very very new, so i can forgive them not testing with it just yet.

Edited by strangeduck

the only reason I know of for this method to be inaccurate is because the meters read at a certain frequency. so playing a 40hz tone while the meter works at (for example) 50hz, you don't get accurate readings. but close enough is close enough. after all, this is all for fun.

Maybe, but we have inverters here at work, equipment runs at all kinds of freq. from 12hz to 90hz AC. So the clamp meter i borrowed from maintenance is capable of reading amperage at 40hz.

Once again, I know this isn't perfect, i know amperage lags slightly behind voltage, but in my defense, i did not use peak hold. I played a tone, walked to the back of the car with the tone playing and wrote down what the meters showed after several seconds. I don't know if that is the best way, but its what i did.

This is correct.

At 30hz will see different but.. thats why FOR A BURB box, or run. .it can help..

it also can "help" to see if you can even come close to ratings......

and after all , this is all for fun

There are a lot of things that contribute to the inaccuracy of clamps, but you eliminated all of them that you could. The biggest one (usually) is the use of peak/hold. But the really important one that we just can't eliminate is the phase angle between voltage and amperage on a reactive load. You can account for it with a scope that reads them sperately and calculate the angle, but who the eff is gonna do that?

Oh well. Such is life.

Nice test.