I know its a dead horse, CCA/OFC

you guys are completely missing the point. he has more demand than one run of 1/0 OFC could handle. so he should be doing two runs. but two runs of CCA more than covers his needs. so the extra cost for OFC is wasted on "uhh, I like it better."

A single run of SHCA 2/0 OFC will handle that 240a alt just fine. It's affordable and you'll save $$ of fuses with that over 2 runs of CCA

He said 1/0 and

CCA is fine. DO MATH :)

So you have a mechman 240 plus d1200 or d7500

240 amps plus an additional 100 just to be conservative

So you want to run 340amps around 20 ft from ur alt to the trunk where ur other batteries are.

So I would run 2 runs of 1/0 CCA, knukonceptz for example is good up to 250amps at 20ft.

Or run 2/0 ofc that can handle 340 amps

That's already been said.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you guys are completely missing the point. he has more demand than one run of 1/0 OFC could handle. so he should be doing two runs. but two runs of CCA more than covers his needs. so the extra cost for OFC is wasted on "uhh, I like it better."

A single run of SHCA 2/0 OFC will handle that 240a alt just fine. It's affordable and you'll save $$ of fuses with that over 2 runs of CCA
He said 1/0 and

CCA is fine. DO MATH :)

So you have a mechman 240 plus d1200 or d7500

240 amps plus an additional 100 just to be conservative

So you want to run 340amps around 20 ft from ur alt to the trunk where ur other batteries are.

So I would run 2 runs of 1/0 CCA, knukonceptz for example is good up to 250amps at 20ft.

Or run 2/0 ofc that can handle 340 amps

That's already been said.

I have no idea what u mean by that's alrdy been said. Pretty sure I said it first

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

That's why you're quoted...its a response to snow, lol

Maybe it should have been said before the quote, lol

It know you already said it. But this is an internet forum - we all weigh in our opinions.

I'm just weighing in ;)

OFC = better Ampacity. Go ahead and kick me if this wiki is way off. This is why I will only go OFC from now on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampacity

Ampacity

Ampacity is a portmanteau for ampere capacity defined by National Electrical Safety Codes, in some North American countries. Ampacity is defined as the maximum amount of electrical current a conductor or device can carry before sustaining immediate or progressive deterioration. Also described as current rating or current-carrying capacity, ampacity is the RMS electric current which a device or conductor can continuously carry while remaining within its temperature rating.

The ampacity of a conductor depends on:

• its insulation temperature rating;
  • the electrical resistance of the conductor material;
  • frequency of the current, in the case of alternating current;
  • ability to dissipate heat, which depends on conductor geometry and its surroundings;
  • ambient temperature.

All common electrical conductors have some resistance to the flow of electricity. Electric current flowing through them causes voltage drop and power dissipation, which heats conductors. Copper or aluminum can conduct a large amount of current without damage, but long before conductor damage, insulation would, typically, be damaged by the resultant heat.

The ampacity for a conductor is based on physical and electrical properties of the material and construction of the conductor and of its insulation, ambient temperature, and environmental conditions adjacent to the conductor. Having a large overall surface area can dissipate heat well if the environment can absorb the heat.

In cables different conditions govern, and installation regulations normally specify that the most severe condition along the run will govern each cable conductor's rating. Cables run in wet or oily locations may carry a lower temperature rating than in a dry installation. Derating is necessary for multiple cables in close proximity. When multiple cables are in close proximity, each contributes heat to the others and diminishes the amount of external cooling affecting the individual cable conductors. The overall ampacity of insulated cable conductors in a bundle of more than three cables must also be derated, whether in a raceway or cable. Usually the derating factor is tabulated in a nation's wiring regulations.

Depending on the type of insulating material, common maximum allowable temperatures at the surface of the conductor are 60, 75, and 90 °C, often with an ambient air temperature of 30 °C. In the United States, 105 °C is allowed with ambient of 40 °C, for larger power cables, especially those operating at more than 2 kV. Likewise, specific insulations are rated 150, 200, or 250 °C.

The allowed current in a conductor generally needs to be decreased (derated) when conductors are in a grouping or cable, enclosed in conduit, or an enclosure restricting heat dissipation. e.g. The United States National Electric Code, Table 310-16, specifies that up to three 8 AWG copper wires having a common insulating material (THWN) in a raceway, cable, or direct burial has an ampacity of 50 A when the ambient air is 30°C, the conductor surface temperature allowed to be 75°C. A single insulated conductor in free air has 70 A rating.

Ampacity rating is normally for continuous current, and short periods of overcurrent occur without harm in most cabling systems. The acceptable magnitude and duration of overcurrent is a more complex topic than ampacity.

When designing an electrical system, one will normally need to know the current rating for the following:

Some devices are limited by power rating, and when this power rating occurs below their current limit, it is not necessary to know the current limit to design a system. A common example of this is lightbulb holders.

Cca ..... ofc does not matter as long as you have the required amount for your current

Snow your cost analysis is flawed and only acconts for one brand of wire.... shop around you can get more current capacity with cca and thhe added fuses for a lot chheaper then ofc.... and by your prices yoou get bent over everytime you make a purchase I would never pay what you do for wire

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

Archived