4 hours ago, Mitchaford said:

AA Mayhem vs. CT 4k

t9iOfth.jpg

The coil was black on the outside to begin with but I didn't think it was just on the outside layer... 

#madeinchina amps.

But really though, user error.

See the thing most people don't understand is someone skilled in an particular subject will know why that coil failed.
The black coating is something called "coil bonder", depending on what brand bonder is being used that color can look very much like copper to black like its burnt. Sometimes they get left to cure too long, or cure them longer for a higher temperature rating and it darkens the color more than normal but doesn't effect performance. Then you also have your actual black bonders that claim to handle crazy amounts of heat (which Fi/AA doesn't use). The typical bonder used on most  Precision Econowind voice coils that are made in Florida can withstand 600+ degrees F. 

Contrary to what people believe, a blackish or blacker coil typically has nothing to do with the coils well being, and typically means nothing.

However the only way your burning through layers of coil like that is from MASSIVE clipping, crazy clipping is what burns holes through multiple layers of windings.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

In the middle of a rebuild so i'm ready for a Gulf Coast Hurricane like...

IMG_2705.JPG

• Like (+1 Rep) 4

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

10 hours ago, audiofanaticz said:

#madeinchina amps.

But really though, user error.

See the thing most people don't understand is someone skilled in an particular subject will know why that coil failed.
The black coating is something called "coil bonder", depending on what brand bonder is being used that color can look very much like copper to black like its burnt. Sometimes they get left to cure too long, or cure them longer for a higher temperature rating and it darkens the color more than normal but doesn't effect performance. Then you also have your actual black bonders that claim to handle crazy amounts of heat (which Fi/AA doesn't use). The typical bonder used on most  Precision Econowind voice coils that are made in Florida can withstand 600+ degrees F. 

Contrary to what people believe, a blackish or blacker coil typically has nothing to do with the coils well being, and typically means nothing.

However the only way your burning through layers of coil like that is from MASSIVE clipping, crazy clipping is what burns holes through multiple layers of windings.

Oh I know its a budget 4k but it works fairly well for now with my current setup. 

I did it on purpose btw. It took the 4k clean for 15-20 minutes at a time no real problems. I'd let it cool down after that just to be safe. 

For the money, that sub is quality. 

As soon as I got my new sub in I just free-aired the mayhem full gain for about 2 minutes and it sparked real nice. 

Have new parts to actually make my own recone *first time doing that* for the mayhem. 

2008 VW Jetta

Team Fi 12 

CT 4000.1

CT 125.4

PWX 6.5

80 PRS

EB Flex 2/0

Second Skin

^^^ Build ^^^

Just a PSA that everyone needs to use there mirrors, and a shoulder check for your blind spots doesn't hurt either. Turning your indicators on and then looking/waiting for it to be clear is the way it SHOULD be done. 

Yeah, I probably could have braked and let her in and just been pissed at being cutoff, but she didn't even take the time to see if anything was there. My front tire was already at the back of her car before she started coming over.  Use your mirrors or lose them.