Sonic Electronix

It looks like the audio bug bit me and at the same time the Jeep bug seemed to bite me. I'm picking up a Jeep XJ soon and I have a few questions as to what I need.

Let me say that this is going to be a DD, and a LCOG Off Roader, and when it can be at shows a vehicle to show of my system. I want to make it as sound capable as possible while keeping it as a weekend warrior also. I will be modding it up slowly for audio and aftermarket lighting, but before I can do that I want to get the electrical situated first so that I don't have to deal with that later (I have learned from my mistakes from the past of doing audio first and electrical second). I do not want to experience that again cause it just plain sucked.

I also happen to know that I do indeed need electrical modifications done prior because the stock charging system in an XJ is just down right terrible.

This is the Electrical mod list I am going to do.

• 8k-10K Winch
  • 4 sets of aftermarket lights
  • Sound System (SQ 2200 @ 1 Ohm + 4 channel amp hopefully 100 x4 @ 4 ohm)
  • XS Power D3400 (Under Hood)
  • H.O Alternator
  • Big Three
  • Rock Lights
  • Led Head Lights

I don't know if I need a second battery for all of this but if I do then I don't know what would be sufficient enough for this. Another question I have is that some times the XJ has a cable that runs from the positive of the alternator to the stock fuse box, Would I just keep the wire there and run the new Fused 1/0 ga from the H.O alt straight to the battery?

I also would like to deaden the ENTIRE Jeep to sound proof it as much as possible, floors, panels, roof, doors, cargo area. I also have a thought but I don't know if it would work to well, It was to rhino line or bedliner the entire floor after the deadner was layed down to keep it waterproof and deadned. Does anyone think that this would be a good idea or possible for that matter? Or should I deaden the floor then put the carpet back? I just want it to be waterproofed and deadned. How much deadner do you think I would need for the entire Jeep? I was thinking MurderMat because they seem to have the biggest pack per square foot. If anyone can suggest a good deadner that would be good for that I want that would be perfect.

As for the audio I'm thinking this:

• x2 DC Level 3 12"
  • Crescendo Audio CZ Series 5.25 + 6.5 (Or maybe 5.25 all around depending on XJ year)
  • SQ 2200 @ 1 Ohm
  • Undecided 4 Channel Amp

My next question is for the subwoofers, What would be better for an SUV for subs, Subs up port back or subs back port back, This time I'm going for SQL. With my WJ I ran into the problem that when I turned up the volume up past a certain volume it sounded like the roof was going in and out (Subs was up port back) I could hear the roof vibrating violently. I think thought I might want the subs up again this time around because I need as much space as possible to put recovery gear in the trunk, So I need a small box. Wouldn't want my new subs to be poked in the cone or surround by something.

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Off road, a lot of weight and power don't normally go we'll together.

You'll need to make sure most of the equipment can handle getting thrown around, so fix it down good,

Elec is as sealed up as you can get it, so water mud and dust don't affect them,

Weight, that's self explanatory

So if you chose to go the road of what your planing there will pros and cons to everything you do and you need to weight them up

I'm not really worried about the weight aspect to off roading, There's bigger off road vehicles that are heavier than what I will be carrying.
As for fixing it down I plan to use rubber feet to have absorb some of the impact, but I don't know how well that will work, I'm going to try to keep everything as high as possible off the floor except for the subs, I haven't decided what to do with that. I wonder how one of the aftermarket alternators will work off road....DC, Singer, Mechman...Guess we'll find out..

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Anyone have some input? Would be most helpful.

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

The alts will hold up fine, a decent size of the HO alternator market is for off road vehicles. When you are talking to the guys at DC or mechman just be sure to mention it'll be seeing alot of off road conditions and see if they have any recommendations.

Team NorthWestSPL

I'll be sure to note that, thank you.

Can anyone comment on sub position and the deadner question I have?

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Any help is good help :)

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Hey Jeep Commander here check it out may help you! http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

Check out my garage pics in there to look at!

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

Well I own an explorer and I did a lot of research that basically led me to believe that the best way to go is subs and port/ports both facing up. I believe the main reason behind it was the fact that the shape of the vehicle works as a horn to make it seem louder.

Honestly, I think the reason you probably heard your roof flexing so bad last time was because you didn't deaden it? Either way you face them, the effect shouldn't really change much especially if your not going for SQ.

Technically the position shouldn't matter because you shouldn't be able to hear where the sub is coming from since bass is omni-directional.

I don't claim to know how to solve anything, I just practice the basics. There is nothing worse than wasting hours over a problem that should have taken 5 mins. Anything I post and claim to know, I know simply because of a lesson learned from a mistake on my part.

Archived