Second Skin Audio

My way of lookin at box rise

So.. Recently a guy on facebook i am in the middle of a trade with was curious about box rise.. I tryed to explain. I hope this is correct to be worthy of a post please correct any part that is wrong if someone here catches it.. Convo went like this:

Me:

Also depending on your box you prob were more like at 4.5 ohms so more like 125 watts each..and if you were only at say 12.5 volts at your amp rather than 14.4 witch is what amps are rated at your more like 100 watts per sub. Most ppl think they blow their amps cause of over power but most ppl dont usally play their subs anywhere near rated power cause they dont know wtf is up.Most common reason to blow a speaker is clipping for noobs atleast.

Him:

yea true but those 100 watgs each were pretty loud. i have a 6 cube box 3 each with a 8 inch aero port probabl 10 inches deep, one thing i dont get is box rise.

Me:

I will try to explain.. Ok so a speaker is a type of electric motor.. Motors use magnetic field to move.. The voice coil is an electromagnet.. Imagin the wire wrapped around the coil is a water hosea bigger hose will allow you to flow more water. So imagine that a big hose (wire) has a resistance of 2ohms and smaller hose (wire) has r resistance of. 4 ohms.. It is you can push much more water threw the big 2ohm hose (wire).. So with that said. You know that a coil with less resistance, or less ohms will pull more power from the source witch will make a stornger magnetic force and push it harder againsts the speakers magnets, magnetic force. So then we thro a box i. Te equation.. Lets say you have a sealed box.. You push the speaker in and it will creat pressure makeing it harder for the speaker to move then lets say if you were to push on the speaker in free air.. That added resistince inturn fights against the magnetic force created by the coil restricting the force the speaker can create.. Think of it a kinking the water hose in turn increasing resistNce or ohms (ohms actully should be defined as impedance but thats another lesson..) so lets say you poke a home in your sealed box (port) this relieves pressure the bigger the port is (like unkinking the hose would do) inturn incrasing resistance.. So bigger box bigger port= less box rise smaller box with smaller or no port= more box rise witch allows less power(watts)

Hope ppl understand my wording and i want to hear input on this subject

in a lot of my testing bigger box bigger port = more rise

it has to do with the coils movement through the magnetic flux not the pressure behind it

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

I depends on locatin in box also because air can be compressed.. If there is a deflector right behind it will have more preassure

ok true but the rise changes because that deflector makes the sub move less or maybe more idk

it is about movement not pressure

and also a sub or speaker is a transducer, not a motor. similar idea

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

So does every single note you play...

every hz every tone....

every other song, every other input..

You wanna plan, or nail it ?

Good luck...

EDIT - you have a lot to read there..

fact is.. is that the infinite ish we have going.. the rise to nail is not.

But, take nominal, and times it by about 3, and go there. could be close to reactive..... ...LOL...

Archived