I am a noob at car audio i originaly wated to put subs in my car just to have a little boom but now i have taken it as hobby. I am constantly researching Subwoofers, Amps, Boxes trying to educate myself about the car audio field, so my car dont go up in smoke like my last car(Audi A6).

I recently had 2 10's in a ported box(MTX Magnum Bass Package). They were pretty good for 10's but i currently have upgraded to 2 12's (Hifonics HFX12D4) each sub wired down to 2Ohm with a 2 Channel Mosfet Amplifier(Lanzar HTG257) with each sub getting 650wrms at 2Ohms. It Beats but im thinking of porting my box.

My first Question would be:

1.) If i port my sealed box with PVC pipe is that a good idea?

2.) Which type port is better Slotted Port or Round PVC Port?

3.) If i do a PVC port a dude on youtube used a tool like this- 41ZoskACZ7L._SX385_.jpg and i wanna know can you use this tool with a drill like this- 31JqekWsXuL.jpg?

4.) I saw some videos on youtube of boxes ported to like 28Hz and i was wandering if its tuned that low can you play regular music and it still hit LOW?

5.) will i have to alter my music in a audio program if i do tune my box to 28Hz?

6.) Is it the lower the Hz the more air its moves , the more Flexxx it does , the harder it hits?

7.) I have seen some huge boxes like 6cubes just for one sub do i have to have a box that big?

<script type="text/javascript"><!--google_ad_client = "ca-pub-9419194237374196";/* car audio */google_ad_slot = "1529947055";google_ad_width = 728;google_ad_height = 90;//--></script><script type="text/javascript"src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"></script>

1) no ask a few questions someone will help you design a proper ported box

2) it depends on the application

3)ive only seen those used on drill presses do u have a jig saw?

4) imho its pointless to tune that low you can tune to 32-34 and still play low without loosing as mich high end oitput

5) wouldnt tune to 28

My setup,

Digital Designs M80

3 Re audio 10's ported tuned to 36 hz

Kenwood x-696

SHCA 0 gauge

Polk audio coax running off hu

• 5 weeks later...

low doesnt necessarily mean "louder" bass -- though it certainly will mean more "spirited" vibration and hair tricks

i used to ask the same questions; once spent an arm and a leg on a box for an old L5 15" Kicker I once had (which i blew to smithereens). I had it paired with a JL 500/1 and had the box (i believe it was almost 5 cu ft -- about the same size box as i have now almost) tuned @ 29 hz. For most everyday songs it was pretty worthless though I must say that the lows were STUPID low. The whole neighborhood shook. For everyday listening (depending on what you listen to) it isnt practical IMHO

I think anywhere under 34 hz is kinda pointless but that's just me.

if i were you, I'd refer to the owners manual or call Hifonics to get the best specs for your build. Otherwise, don't be shy to go with Pre-fab boxes online.

by the way -- how are those Hifonics subs treating you? I had the 1500.1 and the Brutus 2010D amps and they were work-horses. Never over-heated, didnt exactly do rated but were damn close enough for sure. Great amps ---curious to know how their subs are

1984 Mercedes-Benz 300D (5-speed)

Alpine Type-S Mids/Highs; Fli Audio Tweeters

Alpine CDE-143BT Bluetooth CD/USB/iPhone Headunit

Alpine MRP-F300.4

Audiopipe 1500.1 mono

Sundown Audio SA-15d2 (5.2 cu ft. ported box, tuned @ 35 hz)

Kintetik HC-1800 Watt Power Cell Battery

[KnuKonceptz 1 ga. Power Wiring

USACI outlaw - 143.9 db

Archived