Alright so driving home tonight i noticed my first gear wouldn't engage unless i throttled up and then it would lurch into gear. Well I got it home finally and the fluid level was maybe a quart low at best so I added a quart to be safe let it sit then let it run then took it for a test drive. Still does the same thing I noticed a couple things on the test drives:

1: You know its not going to engage in 1st because the truck will shake when not moving with the brake applied.

2: When #1 happens you have to throttle up carefully making sure not to make it lurch into gear (don't wanna strip any gears).

3: If the truck starts shaking waiting for a light to turn green i can put my foot on the brakes and hold the throttle to about 1800rpm and then in ~3 seconds the transmission engages first gear.

So my question is does anyone know what the problem could be??

I originally thought i blew the transmission or a gear but it doesn't happen all the time so I started thinking maybe the clutch assembly on the Torque converter is slipping. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sounds like a problem with the forward clutch in the transmission. Sometimes the drum breaks and I've seen that happen many times with that transmission. Time for a rebuild

99 GMC Suburban

2 Death Penalty 21"

2 Crescendo BC2000

Boston GT-42 Amp

6 Selenium 6w4p

4 Crescendo tweets

Hi output cs144 alt

Audiocontrol Epic-160

Pioneer DVD head unit

Took it to Aamco and they said the internal pumps were going bad and he thought there was a problem with a band but was unsure until they could tear it down. But they want 2,000+ for a rebuilt transmission and torque converter. So I think Im just going to park the truck for another week and buy a Mild Transmission and torque converter from Monster Transmissions and save a couple hundred dollars.

The fluid and filter were changed every 15,000 miles since new. I know some people think i should wait and do it per the book but i like to do the preventative maintenance kinda thing. I guess some things just go bad. It does have 190k on the whole truck and this is the first major problem so I cant complain.

Archived