Sonic Electronix

Changing thread: Help me design the system i had questions about!

Okay so im plannin out a shell design for my trunk and i have decided to lay down 2x4's / OR a 1/2 thick piece of mdf.
First question is, since this is a relatively low power build, (2k>) which would be better to use as a base 2x4's or MDF?

Second question... I have 1 and only 1 place to ground my amps inside the trunk, and its right behind my seats. So how should i approah this because i am going to have 2 amps, and an extra battery. So i SHOULD ground the battery, then geound the anos off the battery, RIGHT?

Third question. Since i only have 1 spot to ground and no other bolts in my trunk area, how am i suppose to mount the MDF in the trunk? Do i just lay it over the sound deadener im putting in or what? Is it absolutely needed to bolt the wood to the floor, then the box to the wood?

Any suggestions and answers are welcome! And if you need more info let me know!

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i (no turbo :( )(Soon XS Power D2400) Stock battery for nowRockford Fosgate 4 gaugeAudioque 6.5" Mid Bass (front)Rockford Fosgate T1 Tweets (front)Rockford Fosgate T2 6.5" Mids (rear)Rockford Fosgats T600-4 (Mids and highs)Rockford Fosgate P3001Fi SSD 12" with PSI recone, building box<p>400 watts, 139.3 @ 42 hz , in the kick window open. Build log!!http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/159148-2007-volvo-s40-audio-build-start-to-current-comment/

I only have 1 answer, the others I do not know of but I would like to learn for myself. Your ground situation, is the behind your seat the seat belt nut? That is very bad to use, try and find a bolt anywhere that goes directly to your frame. If not, do 2 runs from the front to back, one for positive and one for ground.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

No no no its not the seat belt nut, it goes to the body of the car! Lol. I have a unibody car. So nope, no frame grounds. I have the best possible ground in my trunk i know thag much. Lol.

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i (no turbo :( )(Soon XS Power D2400) Stock battery for nowRockford Fosgate 4 gaugeAudioque 6.5" Mid Bass (front)Rockford Fosgate T1 Tweets (front)Rockford Fosgate T2 6.5" Mids (rear)Rockford Fosgats T600-4 (Mids and highs)Rockford Fosgate P3001Fi SSD 12" with PSI recone, building box<p>400 watts, 139.3 @ 42 hz , in the kick window open. Build log!!http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/159148-2007-volvo-s40-audio-build-start-to-current-comment/

No no no its not the seat belt nut, it goes to the body of the car! Lol. I have a unibody car. So nope, no frame grounds. I have the best possible ground in my trunk i know thag much. Lol.

ok good, yeah seat belt bolts are terrible, you got the grounds down. I was thinking about your first question, and I really don't know. 2x4's would be sturdy as hell, but it possibly could be way overkill and cut into your max dimensions, My system which is a hatch, I just have a 3/4in peice of plywood underneath my box, over the rear wheel well.

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I was also thinking the 2x4's could be a littke much. i am trying to save alot of space forsure. So did you bother with bolting the plywood or your box to the floor?

bolting the box down will stop box from shifting when you brake accelerate and steer. so number 1 its for safety.

nummber 2 when subs playing, they may be able to move the box when they move so that may gain you dbeeez due to the fact that the box isn't working against subs.

id bolt down. i used 1/4 inch birch in my trunk. if you have a spare tire or something to support it in the middle, 1/4 inch works. if you can fit .5inch do that then.

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

For my car, perviously I had it set up with a 6x9 box wedged on either side of my box, so it never shifted from the car moving so I no didn't attach it to my false floor. however, I now have my speakers mounted to the sides of the box so there is nothing holding it firmly in place, but it doesn't seem to move that much. I was thinking of adding some screws to the board around the box to help keep it in place just to make sure.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Just because thats the only bolt you see factory doesnt mean you can make your onw...get creative

Very true.

Thanks for the suggestions you guys. I will try to mock up something and think of which angle to take next

Archived