Big 3 installed and no voltage increase?

I installed the big 3 and I also installed the jl battery terminals and my deck still reads 13.2 volts when Idle and 13.6 volts when at 2,000 rpm on highway. Could my battery or alternator be dying even though they are both only a year old?

The Big 3 isn't supposed to raise your voltage. It's supposed to help the electrical system be more efficient which will help it maintain voltage when it's under a heavy load. Did you check your voltage drop before and after you did it?

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

could the cars computer controlling the amount of charge? Also did you fuse between the alt and battery?

I did not realize it doesnt provide more voltage I thought because of the increase in wire it would increase the road of electricity which might increase the voltage but either way this helps to know that it will simply prevent a voltage drop more effectivley than not having a big 3.

Now to answer your question, Before I did it the voltage drop was the same but a little less.. thats why it is confusing

before the big 3 install the voltage was 14.0v at 2k rpm and 13.2v with heavy load

and now it is about 13.6v at 2krpm and 12.8v at 2k rpm with heavy load. So its like I lost voltage from the upgrade.. or the battery or alternator might be dying..

hopefully thats not confusing to read :D

could the cars computer controlling the amount of charge? Also did you fuse between the alt and battery?

I did not fuse between the alt and the battery... I fused after the battery and before the equipment...you said the cars computer might prevent the voltage?... I have no idea but it better not that would be terrible :D I fix computers for people not for cars

sounds like you have added resistance somewhere in your big 3. How did you terminate your wire ends and what wire are you using ? Did you remove stock wires or add to them ?

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

what are you using to measure voltage? and what are you running for amps?

I did not fuse between the alt and the battery... I fused after the battery and before the equipment...you said the cars computer might prevent the voltage?... I have no idea but it better not that would be terrible :D I fix computers for people not for cars

most modern day cars computers regulate the voltage,

When i start my car, i run at 14.1, after a wwhile driving, and it gets hot it goes to 13.6, then after driving for 3-4 hours through out the day, and its really hot outside, like 90+ degrees, it goes to 13.2

XS-power1.jpg

Archived