Sundown Audio

Hello there, sorry to resurrect an old thread but just stumbled on this one and this guy was having the same issues I was and I went down the same road. Thought I'd share my experience, I've put it in this thread here http://www.fiestafaction.com/forums/threads/42371-Building-a-Fiesta-Sized-Subwoofer-Box

I also have a hatch, started with sa-8 v.2. I was new to all of this and took advice from everyone who said to put 1kw of power to this 500rms sub, no one said anything about bringing the enclosure down to .5 to keep it safe until I blew up my coil 6 months later and talked to the guys at sundown. Yes they recommended .5 tuned to 34hz if going 1k watts which I also build and posted in that forum. I gotta say though after listening to the sub at double power on a larger box, the new box was disappointing. Also I found out that I did need all that room that the little box was taking anyway so I ended up rebooting my ideas into a sealed design in the floor of my hatch with the SD3-10's.

Here's some quick pictures if you don't feel like going to the above thread although there is a ton more in the build log including sketchup designs and some spl tests:

10583961_10152671014559171_1375575347835

This second picture is the .5 box

20150428_163533_zpsqadnwz8n.jpg

My current setup

20150815_175940_zpsesbjtprk.jpg

Edited by Mike Gann
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

I had 1 SA-8 in a sealed box only sounded good in a hatch back if u got a trunk then forget it but sub is awesome just needs air would be way better in a ported box.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

X8 way better just make sure hatch back or u got to go bigger if it's a trunk.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

• 3 months later...

I think I'm in the right place I too need help I have one sa e8 v5 and was needing help with a box design am going for ported box but I see a lot of octo port boxes being used with great results. Can anyone help me out thanks

If you're gonna go with an octoport you might as well just get an aeroport

About everyone saying x-8, I was new I just took advice that I shouldnt have. X-8 was bit more expensive so I was trying to go cheaper. Even the guy at woofersetc recommended the 1kw amp to my sa-8, maybe that's something I need to be telling sundown. I just went with what he said, love the amp though still use it.