Second Skin Audio

I have 2 JL audio 10w1v2-4 and one of them just stopped working. Before I took it out of the box it was reading open. Once I took it out of the box to read the terminals, without touching the tinsel leads its reads 4.8 ohms. My good sub reads 4.5, I imagine since I have a cheapo multimeter that is why its reading above 4 instead of under like most. I noticed if i move the tinsel leads on the positive side just a tad it easily goes from reading open to over 100 ohms. Is this easy to fix or am I better off getting a replacement sub? Everyone I talked to said it looked as though it was blown but my settings for my system havent changed since I bought the subs nearly 6 years ago. Another person suggested I resolder the tinsel joints but it looks as though only the terminal joints are soldered. The area were the tinsel reads open isn't the terminal joint. Ill take a photo to show u. The side reading open is the pic where the main terminal isn't visible. Both pics are for the same strand of tinsel just showing where it enters and exits. Thanks for the help.

IMG_0745_zpsd45c7c2f.jpg

IMG_0751_zpsf60c61b3.jpg

what's a good sub with the same setup that I can put in its place and pair with the other sub... i have a Alpine MRP-M500 powering them. What do u mean by disposable? I had always gotten alot of compliments from that setup. People always thought I had 15s in the trunk. My cousin has 2 15in orions cobalts and my 2 JLs hit harder than his setup. They may be discontinued but JL still sells them for more than there most current models which is surprising.

After letting it sit for a while ... the ohms went back to 4.5 while hooked up multimeter after about 2 hours... When i installed it back into my car it worked!!!... its obviously not fixed but at least its working,,,haha

what's a good sub with the same setup that I can put in its place and pair with the other sub... i have a Alpine MRP-M500 powering them. What do u mean by disposable? I had always gotten alot of compliments from that setup. People always thought I had 15s in the trunk. My cousin has 2 15in orions cobalts and my 2 JLs hit harder than his setup. They may be discontinued but JL still sells them for more than there most current models which is surprising.

not bagging on your JL's , its like.... if this was racing, JL would be at the state Fairground and the DC DD Fi XXX DAD AA etc. are NASCAR

he is just saying , its time t step it up . you know the race just rank up lol

maybe Fi 10''

"Walmart Where Car Audio Is Both Funny and Sad" "The weak are meat, and the strong do eat..."

the only thing about the fi is I would have to upgrade everything... my amp, the wiring, install a capacitor and probably the big 3. There isnt really places around here that know how to do that so I've been trying to find stuff that is similar..Ive never heard of that brand either, the popular thing around here in SW florida is the HCCA orions..

I had that same woofer but my 2 where 8ohms. When I upgraded I did my amp and everything but if you do not want to do it like that look in to the soundqubed sdc2.0 there about the same rms and duel 4ohm subs so you can wire them at 2ohms for one sub or 4 and 1ohm if you had 2 of them. They should work good on that amp

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

I don't get why y'all say they don't last long the 2 I had for 4-5 years and when I got rid of them they where still bumping like brand new.

And if you want something that will hit harder the. The JL's( which are a sound quility woofer) get 1 soundqubed sdc 2.5 10. There 600w rms duel 4 so you can wire it down to 2ohms and build your self a coustom box NO PREFAB box. And I bet you you will be surprised as hell.

Edit: I would lose that amp any way and get eather a Rockford fosgate prime 1200 or soundqubed 1200 and run them at 2ohms for the 1 sub or buy 2 subs and run it at 1ohm. Not saying the alpine is bad just room to upgrade and the amps are no more the. 260 befor shipping

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Archived