Sundown Audio

Why people not like strapping amps?

Karkov

2 7ks strapped is 14k at 2 ohms, vs a 7k at 1 ohm and a 7k at 1 ohm.

each amps still see a 1 ohm load but the output is a much lower current because the voltage is doubled.

maybe think of it like 2 7ks strapped vs a 14k amp at 1 ohm

i starpped my aq 1200.1s because i ordered the wrong coils lol. it seemed alot easier to do than to try and gain match or even seperate in to individual chambers. i did however run in to the issue where my slave amp seemed to get a bit warmer than my master. dont know if im the only one that has had that issue.

2005 ford explorer xlt limited 4x4

2 xs power d3400s

2 runs of shca

mid/ highs- infinity 6x8 3 ways

2 18 ssa icons

2 aq 1200.1 @ 2 ohms

10 cubes tuned to 36 hrz

each amps still see a 1 ohm load but the output is a much lower current because the voltage is doubled.

But 2 7ks strapped each see 1ohm, the same as not being strapped. So how is it different? I don't get it either.

2 7k strapped at 2 ohms, would be one ohm...

But 2 7ks strapped each see 1ohm, the same as not being strapped. So how is it different? I don't get it either.

CORRRRRRRECT

No

2 7k strapped at 2 ohms, would be one ohm...

yea, to the amp. but clamp the output current.

4000 watts at 4 ohms is a lot less current than 4000 watts at 1 ohm. Coils die from too much current, not too much wattage. Higher current just "usually" means more wattage.

correct. for example, 15 amps at 120vac is 1800w.

lets pretend there are no losses just for ease of understanding.

7.5 amps at 240vac is 1800w.

its much more efficient to run house electronics off of 240v. i envy europe and their 240 use lol.

but no really, thats why your electric ovens and central air conditioning systems run off of 240. makes them run more efficiently and lowers your power bill at the same time. 120v window AC units are horribly inefficient when compared to a central AC system that runs off of 240.

umm but when you are strapped each amp is still running at 1ohm is it not ? Being strapped at 2 ohm have amps running each at 1 ohm no? so have each amp running at 1 ohm or have each amp running at 1 ohm from being strapped at 2 ohm in which its still running at 1 ohm.. yep fack dis shit iz out

:unknw:

:ninja:

The way i was told sir

there is only ONE time you ever need to consider strapping your amps. That is when you have 2 amps and 1 coil to put them on. If you wanted 4 amps on a DVC woofer, you could strap each pair. Or maybe a quad coil sub with 8 amps on it...2 per coil. That is pretty much the only instance where it is necessary.

other then that, no benefit at all.

if each amp is stable/rated @ 1ohm, then strapped, they are stable/rated @ 2ohm by default......but when shown 2ohms they STILL SEE 1ohm (while strapped), and make exactly the same amount of power as if they were separated.

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

Maybe it will help you guys to understand by thinking about it as strapping being running your amps "in series" while gain matching is more or less running "in parallel."

When strapped, you have the same amount of current total running through your circuit (both amps and subs) as you would gain matched running in each amp. You get the extra power because when you strap them together your output voltage potential doubles.

Gain matched, you have both amps each outputting at their current capacity but each only has half of the voltage output as the strapped unit. So in this case you are actually putting twice the current into your load (subs) as if you were strapped. Same power yes but that power is made differently.

So yes, the amps see the same load, work just as hard, and the amps have the same amount of current going through them in either configuration. The difference is in what kind of power you are giving to your subs.

Hope that helps?

Team NorthWestSPL

Archived