Sundown Audio

Why people not like strapping amps?

Karkov

As title states, I see a lot of people on here swearing up and down they will never strap 2+ amps together. I am curious as to ALL the reasons why?

Truly trying to learn here, not argue.

Thanks in advance. =)

On a complete side note (instead of making new thread) do DC Audio amps do rated? The one(s) I am thinking of going with for a project would need to do what they say they would do rated to be feasible in that application. I.E. under rated? (proper electrical of course)

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

strapping 2 amps together ? like bolting them next together? using bungy cables to hold them down? or wiring separate amps to each sub

I run mine strapped and wire low as shit while strapped :)

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

wtf is ghost lyric talking about lol. If you strap at 2ohm you are running each at 1ohm...i see members here complain about reliablilty issues but beyond that I have never done it or seen other reasons.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

wtf is ghost lyric talking about lol. If you strap at 2ohm you are running each at 1ohm...i see members here complain about reliablilty issues but beyond that I have never done it or seen other reasons.

sorry mate i have never hear the term before and i was scared to google it because my safe search is off lmao!

Strapping usually means you wire to a higher ohm load which is less stress to your electrical system

Um.. no.

You only wire higher because the amps still see 1 ohm each if wired to 2 ohms.

I always strap my amps because it lets me wire lower.

I have "tested" a couple amps strapped at .5 (each amp saw .25ohm). They did fine, didn't gain a lot, but i don't have a termlab. It did gain though, i know the difference in strapping @ 2 (each amp saw 1ohm) and .5 seemed like more cone control, tighter response, and a general feeling of well being.

I had a bigger smile when strapped at .5 too. Of course, it runs the risk of letting all the magic smoke out when wired that low.

strapping is when you wire two amplifiers together (generally have a connection cable specifically for this) to achieve the power of both amps together. It essentially turns 2 amps into 1 big amp. You use the master amplifiers (amp 1) settings to control the slave amp (amp 2). Instead of wiring each amp separately at 1 ohm each, you generally will wire the subs to 2 ohms strapped... this will result in each amp seeing 1 ohm. When strapped you dont necessarily gain or loose power either. Strapping is almost like bridging channels, but instead you are bridging amplifiers.

2 2000w amps not strapped (1 ohm each) = 4000w

2 2000w amps strapped (2 ohm) = 4000w

hopefully this clears things up.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

strapping is when you wire two amplifiers together (generally have a connection cable specifically for this) to achieve the power of both amps together. It essentially turns 2 amps into 1 big amp. You use the master amplifiers (amp 1) settings to control the slave amp (amp 2). Instead of wiring each amp separately at 1 ohm each, you generally will wire the subs to 2 ohms strapped... this will result in each amp seeing 1 ohm. When strapped you dont necessarily gain or loose power either. Strapping is almost like bridging channels, but instead you are bridging amplifiers.

2 2000w amps not strapped (1 ohm each) = 4000w

2 2000w amps strapped (2 ohm) = 4000w

hopefully this clears things up.

sounds like playing with fire... like 2 engines on the same crank shaft one hiccups and everything goes boom.. i usually calculate my impedance of subs and rms and purchase my amp around that. Kinda like when i bought my sub it was said to be 2 ohm and i seen my amp did 500rms at 2ohm and less rms at 4 ohms but when i received the sub i put my meter across it and it was showing 4 ohms and man was it a bitch trying to tell a customer service rep they sent me a 4ohm sub not a 2 ohm... his answer its same shit it doesn't give you more wattage its just ohms,,,, so i sat down and drew it on a piece of paper how it worked until he switched it out for me -.-' lol sorry for the rant / story

Archived