Sundown Audio

Will this amp be enough for x-12 or sell and get bigger?

I am awaiting the arrival of my new sundown audio x-12 that should arrive any day now. I have a couple questions if anybody has the time and is willing to help me out a little.

1) The box I have isn't built to spec. I am going to be limited on funds after these next purchases, so I would rather just use it unless I absolutely have to get another one. http://www.atrendusa.com/atrend/pro-series/vented-enclosures?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=229&category_id=35 I know it won't perform to peak potential but as long as it doesn't sound like total poo or have the potential to hurt the sub somehow then I'll deal with it later, thoughts?

2) The amp I have is a decent one I think. It is the Kicker CX1200.1 (seen here: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_64241_Kicker-CX1200.1-12CX12001.html?SearchClickout%5Bquery_id%5D=22023689&SearchClickout%5BIgnore%5D=1). The birthing sheet that came with it says at 2 ohms it is throwing out 1297 watts constant. It is pushing the hell out of a Fosgate T2 d4 12" right now and has barely gotten even warm to the touch....

The x-12 is rated at 1250, which on paper would look perfect for this build. However I realize that it could take much more with no problem. My question is, approx. at what power does the sub stop producing tangible benefits. In other words, once I reach "x" watts being pushed to my x-12, raising that amount anymore is a waste of money and/or will def harm the sub woofer.

If I end up getting another amp, I can trade mine out plus a little cash and score a Rockford Fosgate t1500-bdcp. It's birthing sheet says at 2 ohms it does over 1600 rms. How much better would that be over my amp??

Thanks in advance for any CONSTRUCTIVE criticism that is offered. Please don't even bother to reply if u are just saying something like "Kicker sucks, get a Sundown amp." or "Your brand is awful you are wasting your money." And I know I am stupid so no need in telling me because my wife has already beat you to it.

I already have 1/0 guage wiring through out and my deck is a Pioneer DEH-80PRS that I run active with my Rockford T2 6.5" component set. It's powered by an Image Dynamics 4 channel amp @ aprox 75w @ 4ohm. All this in a 2004 Mazda Tribute that is a daily driver (got an 18mo old son so I only get to bump sometimes ;) Thanks again.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Current System

Deck:

Pioneer DEH-80PRS (3-WAY ACTIVE)

Incriminator Audio 3.4 4 Channel (75x4 @4 ohm)

(2) NVX X-Series Active Tweeters

(2) SB Acoustics SB16PFC25-8 6" 8 ohm Paper Cone Woofers

Subs:

(2) Sundown Audio SA-12's

Amp:

(1) Kicker CX 1800.l (43CXA1800.1) 2016 Model

(It is rated 1800 @2 ohm but I have it running at 1 ohm, does a little over 2500!)

Big 3 w/ 1/0 gauge wire

(1) XS Power D4800 under the hood

(1) Duracell Group 31 Deep Cycle

(4) Runs of KnuKonceptz Kolossus Fleks Kable (2 pos, 2 neg)

(1) KONfused 4-way Power and Ground Block

Alternator:

DC Power XP 270 High Output

that amp will be fine for that sub, just because you see other people pushing more than rated power to a sub doesn't mean you should, the given rating is there for a reason, follow it and you should be good.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

The Rockford is probably a more efficient amplifier. Though you should probably upgrade your electrical if you haven't, something as simple as a deep cycle under the hood is a good start.

You might try building your own enclosure? It could be a bit cheaper (depending on the price of prefab) and will definitely sound better if you build it to the drivers specs.

Kicker isn't garbage, its just been overrated by uneducated teenage pricks who think they are the kings of car audio at school. ^_^

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

The Rockford is probably a more efficient amplifier. Though you should probably upgrade your electrical if you haven't, something as simple as a deep cycle under the hood is a good start.

You might try building your own enclosure? It could be a bit cheaper (depending on the price of prefab) and will definitely sound better if you build it to the drivers specs.

Kicker isn't garbage, its just been overrated by uneducated teenage pricks who think they are the kings of car audio at school. ^_^

probably the best explanation of kicker ive ever heard

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

The amp should be fine however using that box is gonna limit its full potential. If I were you, I'd keep the amp and spend whatever extra funds you were gonna ad and buy mdf and build yourself a new box. It's not difficult to build them at all.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

But use the right tools and make sure they don't cut crooked or slanted pieces....like a jigsaw that needs a new blade....lol

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

02 Lexus IS300 (2JZ FTW)

Mids/Highs: JL Audio C5 6.5s all around

Mids/Highs Amp: JL Audio HD 600/4

Subs: four SA-8v2s in 3.8cubes @ 32hz

Sub Amps: SAZ3k

Battery: Huge Interstate Batteries relocated to trunk

About 80ft. of 1/0 OFC....

Head Unit: Pioneer 4200NEX

From what Ive been told from my brother and our friend the X series subs take all the power an AQ 2200 can throw out at 1 ohm and still beg for more. So from what Ive been hearing and what their tests with prototypes showed, you might want to upgrade a little on the power side in the future. But for now that amp will do what you want it to do. For now...lol everyone upgrades. ^_^

Well, everyone knows that a single CVR 12 can blow out windows...I mean, my friend's, dad's, uncle did it. :good:

• Like (+1 Rep) 3

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Well, everyone knows that a single CVR 12 can blow out windows...I mean, my friend's, dad's, uncle did it. :good:

hahaha I don't know if you saw it but a couple weeks ago I posted in the general section talking about a guy who works at the place I get my oil change doing a 164 with 4 L7 15s on 4 jl 1000/1

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows