Second Skin Audio

This is a product we've seen offered by a few different companies and we wanted to know your opinion. Science says it won't do much for sound insulation as all it can do is add mass to the metal, but maybe it can keep panels from rattling by holding them together, or some other application. Just wondering what those who have used it before have done with it, or what other uses you might be able to think of.

Whether you are restoring a classic muscle car, building an audio system monster, or trying to give yourself a bit of silent luxury on your daily commute, we have a product or combination of products that will help you achieve your goals while saving money and save time. Look around our site, educate yourself and make the choice that is right for you.

Over built to over perform - because user error, bad batch, and faulty install are excuses that other companies use!

468x60.png

In my doors there is a L shaped piece that is tack welded on very poorly from gm, it is what the window switches mount too and also responsible for part of the door panel being held on. It has a large gap on the bottom since the panel has reliefs in it and the L shaped piece rattled hard even with midbass from my 6.5's. I thought the speakers were amking noise at first. I used a small amount of rope I had from doing headlights and pressed it under the L shaped piece and into the relief, I had already deadened my doors and didn't have any deadener leftover. Otherwise a small peice of deadener would have given me the same results....i

in this case the goal was to keep the two pieces of metal from touching eachother...I probably could have even used a small piece of foam or anything really.

IDK what other scenario butyl rope would be good for though.?

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

I've used it under my basket on my subwoofers before when i had a leak.

2010 Kia Forte Koup (Slow Build)
2 Sundown SCV-3000D

2 DC XL M1 with PSI recones
Focal R-165s2 on Orion 4800-HP
Kenwood KDC-X798
Knukonceptz OFC 1/0
Audiotechnix,Fatmat and Q-mat Deadener

XS power D3400 up front 3 D3100s power in trunk
Stock 110 amp alt

2013 Scion TC

2 Dc lvl 3s with xl coils on Soundqubed 2200

Sundown components

AA 50.2 for components

Pioneer FH-X700BT

Knukonceptz OFC 1/0

Fatmat and Q-mat Deadener

XS Power D3100 up front D925 in back

Mechman 240 alt

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/189911-2013-scion-tc-build/ <Scion TC Build
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174094-jskiles-forte-koup/ <Slow Kia Forte Build
http://www.stevemead...ockUserAgent__1 < Old build 2005 Equinox

GM used butyl rope between the door and the weatherproofing layer beneath the door panels on older (60-80's) models from what I've found. It seemed to serve as a seal for the plastic sheet to keep water from coming in the vehicle through the door as well as preventing the door panel from rattling on the door.
I took the original rope off the doors of my elk when I was cleaning up the metal and there was a very noticeable difference in the amount of rattle (plastic on metal) that was audible.

'79 El Camino

Skar VVX-10 in a t-line tuned to 26 Hz

Build log: Here

I've used it as a gasket between the subs/speaker and the mounting surface. I have used it on little trim panels that like to rattle in the doors. It probably has more uses but 7 out of the 10 things it could do i think non hardening modeling clay does better. I would agree that it is still useful but in a narrow focus. Not really a deadener, can't really use it as a decoupling layer, but it might be necessary to have it lying around just in case.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

probably could have even used a small piece of foam or anything really.

That's kind of what i thought. It seems like butyl rope would be more useful for sealing gaps more than preventing rattles.

Whether you are restoring a classic muscle car, building an audio system monster, or trying to give yourself a bit of silent luxury on your daily commute, we have a product or combination of products that will help you achieve your goals while saving money and save time. Look around our site, educate yourself and make the choice that is right for you.

Over built to over perform - because user error, bad batch, and faulty install are excuses that other companies use!

468x60.png

• 1 month later...

So is butyl rope something your going to carry, because I need some :D

It seems the majority of vehicle manufactures use butyl to seal the headlight lenses to the housing, and of coarse once you heat the lens up in the oven to pull the covers off to do retro fits for HIDs you need something new to seal it with.

So anything ever going to happen with this?