passive crossover

Reed Farrar

ok so i just recently bought 4 crescendo pwx 8s and i hooked them up to a kicker 550.2. im still new to car audio so i was just like ya its gonna be loud enough so i dont need tweeters. well i did some research and that was prob the dumbest thing i could of said. so to get on with the point i want to get 2 crescendo super tweeters but i want to hook them to my kicker amp since i dont have the money to buy another amp just for the tweeters and the only other way would be to hook the tweeters to my head unit which im sure would not work out good at all. so would i be able to get two crossovers one in each door and hook those up to my pwxs and my tweeters? the pwxs are 200 RMS and the tweeters are 80 RMS so that kinda just confuses me how i would do it. i have my amp right now wired to 2 ohms on each channel. so if anybody could help me out i would appreciate it. also if getting a passive crossover would be the best thing to get what brand crossovers should i get?

You can wire tweeters to the HU no problem. It won't be much wattage but the tweeters are uber sensitive. I think they come with an in line cap so no crossover is needed. It may not be enough power for you though. Most decks put out about 15-20 watts per channel and that will be halved from the impedance of the tweeter. (I'm assuming it's 8 ohms) A pair of passive crossovers worth their weight in salt will be around 50 bux. Since they already have a cap I would run them off deck power till you get a amp for them.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

They have 4ohm ones also. The speakers i have now are plenty loud i just need a little more highs to balance everything out. I appreciate the reply yall im just gonna buy them and put them on the head unit for a while till i get a amp. So the tweeters already have crossovers like inside of them?

Send the link to the tweeters and I'll let you know for sure but most do have inline caps. You don't want to do it otherwise. It will kill your tweeters.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

• 2 months later...

Archived