Second Skin Audio

desiging box for 4 15's, need port advice

Fuzzy336

So im designing a box for 4 15" kicker l7's in a 2002 tahoe, im going to be running 2 zx2500.1's, 2 off each amp, so here are the questions:

1) Would it be ok to run all 4 subs in common airspace sense im running 2 amps or should I split the box in half?

2) I'm going to run subs up port back, how far away should the box be from the back hatch for the port to perform at its peak?

3) How far down the back of the box should the port be? will there be any difference between the port being at the very bottom of the box or halfway down the back? if put halfway down the back i would make the box stick out the rest of the way to the hatch to give the subs a little more air space.

4) Would it make a difference if the port was longer width wise and shorter height wise, or shorter width wise and taller height wise?

5) Does anyone know the resonance level of kicker l7 15's? if not, does anyone know what would be the best Hz to tune the box for good SPL numbers, yet still cover a wide range of notes? the box will be in my daily driver, and I love the lows the L7's produce, my current box for 2 of them is tuned to 32.2 Hz and the lows sound nice, but do you think tuning it lower/higher would make it sound better?

Any and all help would be great! Thanks.

My Youtube Channel

Trying to guess the SPL of a system with out a meter is like trying to guess how much air pressure is in a compressor tank just by letting some of the air out.

...Seems like 90 psi...

1) yes it is okay for common airspace if the amos are in master slave mode or if the are perfectly tuned would I do it NO! but is it okay if u want to yes

2) at least the distance from the hatch as the width of the port or witch ever axis is smaller in the case of a square port

3) I dont get the question

4) no square inches is all that matters in width and hight

5) me personaly I would go with 38hz I had my 4 l3 15s and it slapped and sounded good to mine were in a 16 cube box

In response:

1) the amps do not have master/slave modes, so would it be recommended then?

3) what I mean is like, I've seen videos where some people have the port at the very bottom of the box facing the hatch, and then you have a box like Steve's where his port is higher up the back of the box because he has the row of batteries below the port. So what I'm getting at here is is does the placement of the port on the back of the box make a difference?

4) I know these numbers are off, but hypothetically speaking, if the port was 3"x20" then the box would only have to be 3" away from the back hatch?

My Youtube Channel

Trying to guess the SPL of a system with out a meter is like trying to guess how much air pressure is in a compressor tank just by letting some of the air out.

...Seems like 90 psi...

1) if u tune the amps right u should be okay

3) yes it cant it has th do withcthe number of common walls just makeit easy for your self and put it at the bottom thats what I did and I was not disipointed ( did you check out the vid?)

4) yes that is correct that is the minimum didtance the port can be from the hatch

In response:

3) what I mean is like, I've seen videos where some people have the port at the very bottom of the box facing the hatch, and then you have a box like Steve's where his port is higher up the back of the box because he has the row of batteries below the port. So what I'm getting at here is is does the placement of the port on the back of the box make a difference?

4) I know these numbers are off, but hypothetically speaking, if the port was 3"x20" then the box would only have to be 3" away from the back hatch?

gain matching. Play a test tone through the HU, plug a DMM on ACV to the output of the amplifier, see what you get, then do the same with the other amplifier and match the ACV numbers to "gain match."

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

I did check out the vid, you just never showed the port placement in the video that's why I wanted to be sure, thanks for the advice!

If anyone else wants to share their opinion on any of the questions also feel free to chime in!

My Youtube Channel

...Seems like 90 psi...

In response:

gain matching. Play a test tone through the HU, plug a DMM on ACV to the output of the amplifier, see what you get, then do the same with the other amplifier and match the ACV numbers to "gain match."

I did not know that trick, thank you very much! Do you have any extra input to any of the other questions?

My Youtube Channel

...Seems like 90 psi...

Archived