Second Skin Audio

Ported enclosure for Sundown Audio SD-2 10s?

audiofreak9

I have two Sundown Audio SD-2 10D4s in a small sealed 0.6cuft per sub enclosure under the rear seat of my F150. I am running them 4 Ohm mono on an old school RF Punch 800aii amp. I just purchased a new Ford Fusion (daily driver w/better gas mileage than the F150) and want to build a dual ported enclosure for the Sundowns since I now have the room. I designed a ported net 1cuft per sub enclosure. Using a 33Htz tuning frequency with a 2.5" diameter port, I've calculated the port length to be ~10.32". A slotted port for the same tuning at 1" wide 11" high, I calculated a length of ~23.98".

Now to my question, I found this Ground Shaker enclosure on Sonicelectronix for $79.95 free shipping! Materials for my box alone are nearly this price. It's an ideal volume, 1.10cuft per sub, the Sundowns displace 0.08cuft for a 1.02cuft net (SA recommends 1.0cuft for ported). The box is made from 11/16" mdf. I can't find the slotted port dimensions for this box. From the picture I approximated it's dimension to be 1" wide 11" high and 20-21" long. The box's depth is 17.5" and the port should be nearly 1 & 11/16" shy of that, (I'll use 16" to be easy). Then the port turns 90 degrees and continues what looks to be 4". Together that yields between 20" & 21" (adding 11/16" for thickness of the 90 degree turn). For a 1.02cuft box, I calculate a 1" x 11" slotted port 20.5" long would be tuned to ~35Htz.

I just want some opinions, and my calculations checked. Thanks!

I might get hammered for this lol, but here we go....

If you make sure that the port tuning is within a couple hz of what you were going to build, then I would probably say go for it. Those subs (although they are nice, I have ran the e8s and have sa 12s now) are not likely to eat that box.

In my opinion, as long as the tuning is right with that prefab, you aren't going to gain that much by building your own box to the same specs, other than the satisfaction of building your own box. If you were competing and felt the need to resin the box and everything like that, it might be different.

This box will probably be cut perfectly, carpeted perfectly, and sound pretty decent. You can't build a box much cheaper, and I have owned 2 prefab boxes in the past (one for 2 type r 12s, and the other a pair of cheap ass 10s) both performed as expected with no issues.

When you build your own box it is still somewhat of a crap shoot as to whether it sounds exactly like you envisioned it while building. Let us know how it turns out.

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

From the sound of it, it sounds like you're just wanting some extra depth to your music. So with that said, the pre fab box you're looking at would be perfect for what you're looking for. It wont be made to specs for the SD subs but itll be close enough for it not to matter for what you're looking to do with it.

Thanks ncochran, my father makes wood furniture as a hobby and his shop is fully equipped. Being 40 years old now, I've got 24+ years of car audio experience, and know the satisfaction of making you own enclosure. So I'm mostly inclined to make the box myself, but the price of this box is where I'm stuck. It's so cheap, I almost can't lose trying it. I'll let you guys know which way I go (or both for comparison sake).

Fatbox's enclosures are where it's at in quality and strength. They are what I would build, but I can build the same quality cheaper myself, but thanks for the recommendation twisted1.

Yeah, Pioneerchuck I am looking for some lower end extension. Before I had kids I was a die hard bass head - even competed locally (Philly area). Now I'm just looking for that smooth deep bass. BTW what part of "South Jersey" are you from? I live in Cape May Court House (outside of Wildwood).

Thanks all!

There is a section for enclosures. You might want to try making posts like this there from now on..

MOVED...

Daily Driver 1999 Kia Sephia

Kenwood DNX-893s
Audison Bit One Processor
2 Dat 4.125's
Sundown Audio SCV-6k
Hertz hsk-165xl's Mids running active                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Focal V30 Series Tweeters running active 
Sundown Sa-8 v1's in the doors
2 Sundown Zv5 12's 
Lots of Hushmat
Big 3+ and 3 + & 3- runs of Trystar 2/0
2 Dc Power Engineering 320 HP Alts

2017 Comp Vehicle
2006 Toyota 4 Runner
Kenwood Excelon DNX-893s                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Audison Bit One HD DSP
4 Sundown Sa 6.5v2 Component Sets 
Focal Access 6.5 2 ways
Sundown Audio Sax-50.4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Sundown Audio Sax-100.4
2 Dc Power 370xp
Northstar agm27f
Northstar agm65
2 Northstar asmagm 480's
2 Dual 1 Sundown Nightshade v3 12's
2 Sundown SCV-7500's
All SMD Fuse Holders
Shitload Of Sundown 1/0

120 sq ft Second Skin Damp Pro

No, Its Not A Burp Truck!!!!

2016 Season 3rd place in Xtreme 1 At Finals

2016 Season 6th Place In Kaos 1 At Finals ( Blew The Subs Up In First Round Eliminations)

2 Kansas State Records Set In 2016 In Xtreme 1 And Kaos 1 In Midwest SPL

2-1.jpgsa.jpg
DCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

David said:

audio is a lifestyle, not a hobby

newls1
I cant read a tape to save my life... 1/2's are ok, but other marks confuse me
kingsuv
only men who cant read a tape, take it in the ass
kingsuv
you sir, get a pink hard hat on jobsites

the bigger the box the lower it will get, math seems spot on though

Dont listen to this guy ^ that is by far the dumbest statement i've heard in a long time...

Warning, sarcasm below...

If "bigger = lower" were the case, then why even have a box, I should go free-air, or better yet just lay them face down in the trunk - that'll do it right!? I could probably hit like 220db at 10Htz with this type of setup! Screw Physics, my car will be breaking the sound barrier and producing Shock Waves, 194+ here I come!

LOL!

Archived