Sundown Audio

no.... im saying its likely 3/4 inch wood and because theres an aeroport stuck back a little bit it looks like its thin wood

yeah I though it was pretty easy to see the pvc lol

Gotta be kidding me....look closer dude.....
if you notice, the wood only looks like 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and theres no way that baffle would be alive if it were only 1/2 inch thick
So you admit you don't see the aeroport...besides his enclosure is made of cheap wood...

cheap wood doesn't mean nothing if u have enough bracing and double baffle the front.. plus im glad i use cheap wood.. i would hate to keep putting money into make a box.. these are test designs.. when i find the one i like i will use mdf..
Yeah you are right, its okay to use plywood (not birch) and particle board and brace with more cheap wood! Edited by SPLadd1ct

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 v6

2 sundown audio prototype nsv4 15s

crossfire 4k wired to 0.4 ohm

15 banks of maxwell 3.0 caps @ 18v

triple alts (x2 us alt 250's, x1 singer 320)

153 at 23hz

Back on topic here, As N8 said. If you want Zv4's, buy Zv4's. The tight gap will limit what you can do musically and turn it into more of a burp only sub.

But being the fs is so low on these subs, it wont do well as a burp sub either. Trying to burp something in a vehicle that will peak typically in the 40-50 hz range with an fs that low will cause you to have lower numbers than it would with a more typical sub type.

Daily Driver 1999 Kia Sephia

Kenwood DNX-893s
Audison Bit One Processor
2 Dat 4.125's
Sundown Audio SCV-6k
Hertz hsk-165xl's Mids running active                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Focal V30 Series Tweeters running active 
Sundown Sa-8 v1's in the doors
2 Sundown Zv5 12's 
Lots of Hushmat
Big 3+ and 3 + & 3- runs of Trystar 2/0
2 Dc Power Engineering 320 HP Alts

2017 Comp Vehicle
2006 Toyota 4 Runner
Kenwood Excelon DNX-893s                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Audison Bit One HD DSP
4 Sundown Sa 6.5v2 Component Sets 
Focal Access 6.5 2 ways
Sundown Audio Sax-50.4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Sundown Audio Sax-100.4
2 Dc Power 370xp
Northstar agm27f
Northstar agm65
2 Northstar asmagm 480's
2 Dual 1 Sundown Nightshade v3 12's
2 Sundown SCV-7500's
All SMD Fuse Holders
Shitload Of Sundown 1/0

120 sq ft Second Skin Damp Pro

No, Its Not A Burp Truck!!!!

2016 Season 3rd place in Xtreme 1 At Finals

2016 Season 6th Place In Kaos 1 At Finals ( Blew The Subs Up In First Round Eliminations)

2 Kansas State Records Set In 2016 In Xtreme 1 And Kaos 1 In Midwest SPL

2-1.jpgsa.jpg
DCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

David said:

audio is a lifestyle, not a hobby

newls1
I cant read a tape to save my life... 1/2's are ok, but other marks confuse me
kingsuv
only men who cant read a tape, take it in the ass
kingsuv
you sir, get a pink hard hat on jobsites

Back on topic here, As N8 said. If you want Zv4's, buy Zv4's. The tight gap will limit what you can do musically and turn it into more of a burp only sub.

But being the fs is so low on these subs, it wont do well as a burp sub either. Trying to burp something in a vehicle that will peak typically in the 40-50 hz range with an fs that low will cause you to have lower numbers than it would with a more typical sub type.

yeah im just sticking with the original 2 x 18s dc 3.5k plan and maybe next summer ill see if zv4s will work in the wall for my x 18s.... if not build a new one lol

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

To expand a little... here is a post I made the other day on CACO about the new drivers :

----------------------

The new platform drivers are a totally different animal than anything we've made before; and anything most anyone has made before.

Not only are we starting with a lower FS but our FS changes VERY little over stroke. It's a much lower distortion sound but the distortion of shifting Fs (and Qts) has a sound best described as "punchy" to the ear.

See the following (don't mind the objective # in the FS column -- just look at how it changes) :

SA-12_NonLinear.jpg

* At 2" p-p the SA-12 FS is over 50% higher than at-rest

* At 2" p-p the SA-12 Qts has risen to triple it's rest value

Zv4_NonLinear.jpg

* At 2" p-p the Z v.4 Fs has changed essentially none

* At 2" p-p the Z v.4 Qts has changed VERY little; with a max deviation of ~25% or so on the forward stroke

-----

Now... take a woofer and model it up with those changes to the parameters found on the SA-12 (which is a good representation of how many standard drivers act). You will see a massive increase in output toward the top-end and a massive decrease at the bottom-end over stroke.

On the Z v.4 you will not see this -- the response remains relatively unchanged over stroke. So compared to a less linear driver the increase in bottom-end over stroke can be MASSIVE as it simply does not drop off over stroke... but you won't hear the "punch" at the top-end generated by the distortion modes of shifting parameters.

-----

In many conversations with Dan Wiggins this theme came up... with XBL^2 you greatly reduce the QTS rise from a BL perspective (we are reducing it from a suspension perspective which also greatly reduces FS shift). Even then people complained that the Brahma drivers were not "punchy" -- what they actually were complaining about was a lack of distortion.

Down the line I plan to combine our suspension platform with a linear BL topology as well. That definitely won't be for everyone as the shifts of every parameter will decrease even further.

-----

In any event -- I expected to hear these type of reviews based on what people said about XBL^2 drivers 10+ years ago. Bottom line, to me, is that the design is objectively superior and fits what customers told me they wanted from their subs -- the most bottom end possible. Our SPL suspension system that is in the works for the new platform will offer a more "traditional" sound and also work better for higher frequency SPL for the same reason.

-----

PS : Thanks for your review OP :)

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg