Sonic Electronix

Help with sound system!

ok, so im pretty new to sound audio equipment. although im tech savvy, in school for computer electronics engineering. anyway... i recently purchased a new amplifier and a new set of subs off a guy i know. the amp is an spl z2x-1600. previously i had 2 kenwood w3012 sealed, and 2 pioneer w303r sealed. my old system i had these subs running off a (yes i know boss sux now didnt know when i got it) boss nx 1600.2. before getting the new subs and amp i had the pioneers and 1 kenwood running off the boss amp and the other kenwood off a sony xplod gtx 6040 (bridged, used other 2 channels for a set of rockford mids.), it ran fine, then i upgraded to new amp and ran 2 kenwoods and 1 pioneer off the new spl z2x amp and the other pioneer off the sony xplod, well needless to say the pioneer started smoking after a day and blew, so i gave the other pioneer away and put in the set of kicker comp, so i ran 2 kickers and a kenwood off the z2x amp and the other kenwood off the sony xplod, was working great for a week or so till i was driving one day and the subs kicked off, blew the 3 fuses in the z2x amp and the kenwood that was hooked to it now reads 1 ohm.(its a 4 ohm sub).

ok so heres my situation and questions.

first off, is the kenwood blown and why does it read 1 ohm?, it feels fine when i press on it.

the kickers are 8 ohm subs, they read 6 ohm when i got them but now there reading like 4.3 again why?

i have the gain on about 1/4 on the z2x amp

i had 2 kickers in series then parallell to the kenwood reading 3 ohm at the amp.

im more or less trying to figure out why the impedance of the subs is decreasing and why this happened. any ideas/ suggestions would be appreciated!

Hows the wiring on the sub?
Is it still going down? Or did it stay at the impedence?

Mess with the wiring of the subs. and i recommend a better amp if anything.

2007 Dodge Caliber SXT 2.0L

Flowmaster Single muffler + Tip

4 SoundQubed 6x9s 3-way

PolkAudio PA660.4

2 MB Quart Tweeters

2 4" MB Quart 2-way

New 8" coming soon!

its wired at 3 ohms , since i posted i blew the other kenwood and i didnt even have the volume up , its frozen solid reads 4 ohms but its toast smoke n all...

i really am frustrated with it i dont even care about the subs but if im to invest in some good subs, i dont want the same thing to happen im tryin to figure out what the problem is idk if its the amp or what, could a loose ground possibly cause this? im so lost...

The amp is old man and discontinued and rated doing very low rms. Id get a new amp and see how things go.
Then replace the subs either way.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7411_SPL-Z2X-1600.html

4 SoundQubed 6x9s 3-way

PolkAudio PA660.4

2 MB Quart Tweeters

2 4" MB Quart 2-way

New 8" coming soon!

ok so i just ripped everything out of my suv in frustration found out the kickers are actually 4 ohm , just had rust on the box terminals cleaned them now im reading 4 ohms on both kickers, was first time i pulled out of box since i bought them, kenwoods are fried now, abt to buy either some kicker cvx's, or some alpine type r, however again im afraid to do aything till i know that im not gonna have to throw more subs into the graveyard and empty my pocket more. im still unsure as to whats happening

Do 12" Kicker Cvrs if anything. I had 2. Loved them. I now have a soundqubed hdc3 12" which weighs like 45lbs. in a 60lb box.

Shit gets intense. But my friends always loved my kickers. they are nice. and reliable. and cheaper.

But if you want SQ then get a good company. SoundQubed, Sundown, FI, Etc.

Your amp should be ok. But if you can man id get a new one. I imagine its old.

4 SoundQubed 6x9s 3-way

PolkAudio PA660.4

2 MB Quart Tweeters

2 4" MB Quart 2-way

New 8" coming soon!

trying to avoid getting a new amp if possible, i mean i just bought it a week ago, was slamming when i first had it, idk wth happen, gain was 1/4 and amp never got hot.

edit: yea im leaning towards the kickers, but id still like to use this amp, any ideas on why this amp seems to be eating subs, i had 2 4 ohm kickers wired in series to 8 ohm then parralell with 4 ohm kenwood, its always the one in parralell that blows up.

I mean its electronics. a cap could of gone out or somthing. It was probably just the subs. The amp could be fine.
Wiring is what matters. if its not wired right shit will blow.

Get some better subs and see how things play out.

4 SoundQubed 6x9s 3-way

PolkAudio PA660.4

2 MB Quart Tweeters

2 4" MB Quart 2-way

New 8" coming soon!

Archived