Audiofanaticz PC "upgrading watercooling Page12" updated 2/3/16

The amd sata ports aint the greatest, but it also has an asmedia controller for a few of the sata ports, and to be a big improvement.

Im currently not even using a SSD, but hope to soon. looking at the Samsung 840Pro 256gb, which seems to be one of the upper performing drives in the 190-256gb range.

As for buying intel.....

Yea.. about that, I cant see spending $500-1100 for a processor, which would have to be a i7 3930 or higher.

Then spend another $400-500 on the EVGA or ASUS mother board Id want.

As for the old memory, its already being used, you can buy it new from newegg for $65 now (Two 2gig sticks), can probably find it even ceaper online yet too.

All I got laying around right now is some older ddr corsair with activity leds.

get the samsung 840EVO series.... And the 8core amd cpus are nothing compared to the 4c 8t skt 2011 monster (3820... how about 48pcie lanes and quad ch mem... Plenty of bandwidth on tap. im done here

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

The 840pro seems to be a better all around drive, tho that price tag on the evo is nice, way way way nicer for such a small performance difference.

Current clock in the 5ghz
Have not mem tested it yet, but just played a little over 2hours in some BF3 and no issues..

1116222_623653617668957_459970639_o.jpg

Oh my goodness, someone actually bought a AMD 9000 series processor. I never thought I would actually see one outside of pre-built boutique systems.

Definitely needs a new video card. Can't have $900 of CPU/Mobo/RAM and stick in a $130 GPU. Upgrade that sucker! Stay with AMD and get a black/red ASUS 7970 GHz and keep the theme going. No need for 2 cards unless you're going with 3 1080p+ screens and want to crank settings to max in Crysis 3 or something similar.

EDIT: Or wait a few months and see what AMD can do with their Radeon HD 9000 series cards.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

I think you should get the Microsoft hot fix for windows for that AMD FX Series 8 core.

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Ive done the 2 hotfixes but not sure if it wil improve performance much or not, some claimed it has before i done them, also realized you cant uninstall them either. So I guess well see.

I brought the cpu back down to stock settings, loaded mobo defaults and what not. Decided to go about this the right way, so I drawn up a spread sheet and am doing small ffts tests on prime 95 for 10,15,20,25,30minutes, recording cpu temp and h80i temps for every 5minutes.

I picked up some artic silver 5 and am going to swap the thermal paste, the big heap of stock corsair dont seem to impressive. Was kinda worried from the get go with it being rather thick, after all when it comes to thermal past less is better.

Also when i pull the cooler off Im going to cut out the round holes in the back of my case where the fan intake is for the cooler.

Then rerun the same tests again. and see what type of change the thermall paste has made, as well as cutting out the entire circle for the intake on the case. That seems a bit restrictive to me.

so temps should lower id assume, I really should wait to cut them after i test with thermal paste, but I really dont feel like pulling the cooler off the gpu twice (once to reapply new paste, and second time to cut out the holes on my case).

After that test I plan on having the corsair fans blow air out the case, instead of suck fresh air in which corsair says is better. But I can feel the added heat not making its way out as good as I think it could even with great exhaust fans, and the non refrence videocard cooler also just dumping hot air into the case. So I think changing the fans up shoulld make it a tad better, but testing will show if it does or dosent.

So far not impressed with this water cooler, since my old cooler was tested to be better on air........

And those tests where done with way better fans, and the corsair h80i is slacking!

rerunning test currenty with artic silver 5 as the termal compound, and the holes around my fan on the case removed.

Keep in mind they say AS5 requires a 200hour burn in period for the compound to become most effective at cooling.

currently the 10 and 15 minute tests were cooler by a tad, but the 20 minute test which just passed was cooler by a big bit, almost the same as the 15minute test.

will post results once it was running for 30minutes.

So over all the temps where a couple degrees cooler from 15-30minutes during testing.

Now is that because the artic silver5 vs the stock thick corsair pre applied soultion, or due opening up the case where the fan mounts. I do not know, but I will take it. lol

Will have to go down to stock clocks and retest again once the as5 was burned in to see if there is a real difference or if its just hype.

So this is what I removed

20130823_184017_zpsaf45a647.jpg?t=137730

Then smoothed out the edges with my dremil, and then the battery went dead so I took another pic as I waited for it to charge.

20130823_190318_zps0e76785e.jpg?t=137730

And the spread sheet I started for stock temps.. Next thing to do is play with fan intake/outake configurations and see if I can get even better cooling.

The numbers in the top left of the temp boxes is the cpu temp.

The numbers in the lower right of the same temp boxes is the temp of the water in the corsair unit.

Hence why theres 2 numbers per box.

Also worth adding is my room temp of 74degrees F, for my 2nd test it was 75degrees when I started, but about 1/4 thru the test when i checked it seemed to about 74degrees for the remaining time.

20130823_204133_zpsa2e7fb42.jpg?t=137730

So a while ago I read an article (I have to find it) on thermal paste like artic silver. As some have a "curing" period, they actually tested to manufacturers specs as far as that goes. Artic silver actually ranked really low. You know what ranked the best? The cheap, watery thermal paste with no recommended curing time, beat it out by over 10 degrees. (I'll post when I find the article)

As far as the CPU, I feel like you spent a lot of money on the wrong parts. Don't get me wrong, its still a kick ass system, but an OC'd i5 will take that thing to pound town. There's very few applications that are multithreaded enough to make use of all 8 cores. Hell even on my old i7 I disabled HT and dropped it to 4 cores. I actually got a performance gain in most games. The problem is, if the program isn't written for that many cores it takes up CPU cycles to load balance the threads, and over 4 cores you actually start decreasing for every core added. So by the 8th core, you're looking at a 5% gain.

I will say that AMD is the tits when it comes to SATA III, they held the crown for a while, but after the x77 chipset was out and SATA3 went native on the southbridge, AMD lost a little of its edge. Right now on my [email protected] on an H100i and 16 gig of ram, two m4s in RAID0 I get about 930 megs a second. I'm pretty sure AMD still beats it, as I've seen the same drives hitting 1050 on AMD systems.

Upgrade that video card! Even if you get a 580 off ebay :) Looks good though man, clean as hell. My computer looks like I built the case out of an erector set. hahaha

Archived