Audiofanaticz PC "upgrading watercooling Page12" updated 2/3/16

Lets start out with the old, then do the upgrades :D

Windows 7 ultimate

Lianli LanCool case (painted the inside red)

Asus M4A79T Deluxe

Corsair Dominator DDR3 8gigs (4 2gig sticks)

AMD Phenom II 965 QuadCore 3.4ghz oc'ed to 4.03ghz

ThermalRight Silver Aarow cpu cooler

Seagate Barracuda 700gb hard drive

HP DVD burner

Corsair HX750 power supply

EVGA 9800GTX 512mb ram (preious) Asus GTX650 1gb ram (current)

BGears Case fans 120mm and 140mm

Quick pics of the tower and specs

210033_452631978104456_1260208208_o.jpg

Onto the rebuid/upgrade

For the upgrade I will be doing it in parts, and reusing a few things.

I will be reusing the case, case fans, dvd burner, powersupply, hard drive, video card.

New parts:

AMD FX 9370 4.4ghz (4.7ghz turbo).

A lot of hate with this processer being that it is simply a factory overclocked AMD FX 8350, and peoplle claim the 220 watts of power it needs is insane, and this FX 9000 series processors are aimed at fools, and only fools will buy them...

However those who have a nice overclock their fx8350s to the same factory speeds as the FX9370 are close to the 220 watts as well, so that didnt bother me.

Also these processors are have hand picked components for the best of the best, meaning you should be easily to obtain a higher more reliable overclock then a fx8350.

Case and point Nvidia did the same thing with the GTX Titan, same thing as a GTX 780 but the GTX780 has 3gb less ram. So for performance that is almost idenical your paying $400+ for 3gb more ram if you buy the GTX Titan.

Also picked up the Asus Crosshair v 990FX Republic of Gamers motherboard, Ive been eying this for months now, and it fits my case colors.

Cooling the CPU will be a Corsair H80i water cooler.

I got the CPU, MOBO, and Cooller in a combo deal, I tried upgrading the H80i to the H100i and pay the difference, but newegg wouldnt allow it. Oh well, gives me a bigger reason down the road to do a legit water cooling loop.

Decided to max out the mobo on memory right away, so I bought some Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 memory, 32gigs worth of it (4 sticks of ram 8gigs each).

Onto some pics!!

20130820_152630_zpse25eb64f.jpg?t=137715

20130820_164342_zps579aff95.jpg?t=137715

20130820_164348_zpsa17f8a89.jpg?t=137715

20130820_164355_zpsadfb2aa4.jpg?t=137715

20130820_164410_zps42dea95f.jpg?t=137715

20130820_165152_zpsd6160581.jpg?t=137715

20130820_165305_zps2d24b5b3.jpg?t=137715

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive also started playing with overclocking it today, havent reallly done much, just increased the speed a little bit and disabled the turbo mode thing, got it running at 4.8ghz and ran prime95 for a while with a few warnings, but no errors, temps got up to about 53degrees C max under 100% load.

I still have to play with ram timings and voltage, and really dial in the cpu voltage as well, the less voltage going to it the less heat, but from what Ive been reading is as long as i keep it under 65degrees C under full load it should be fine.

So I will probablly really start to play with bio settings soon here tonight, and get her up and over that 5ghz mark on this beast of a 8 core processor :D

Another thing I noticed is these stock corsair fans on the radiator get LOUD when they start going so Im thinking when my upstairs tennant pays me his rent money I will go out and buy some new Noctua fans for that, and replace the rest of my case fans right away too.

Really lacking on a Hard Drive, I need to get myself a SSD asap and raise that windows expierence rating from the current 5.9, seems to be holding that score way back!! LOL

Also need a new video card or 2 but that will have to wait a little bit yet too :(

But current settings/speeds as of this post with not much time spent in bios or any fine tuning. So things can only get better :D

20130822_025839_zps7ffa071d.jpg?t=137715

How are you liking the new 8 core? You should get the hot fix for windows to get windows working better for the amd fx series.

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

and a pistol in case someone tries to stop you from building it

JK, gonna be awesome man

When i started reading I was like, shit is that the old or new, your original one sounds very similar to the one i built for myself a while back and although i want to upgrade I have no reason so I am stuck with what i got, but it is a good PC none the less.

ANYWAYS, that cooler you picked is supposed to be good.

Tuned in for performance in the end and thoughts on the build.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

How are you liking the new 8 core? You should get the hot fix for windows to get windows working better for the amd fx series.

So far it seems pretty damn nice :D

I noticed a rather large gain in FPS when I was playing some BF3 earlier with Meade, didnt notice any choppyness like I did before with slightly lower settings.

That could be due to the added memory, the processor, or both, but the video card is still the same Asus GTX650 1gb OC'ed slightly like before as well.

and a pistol in case someone tries to stop you from building it

JK, gonna be awesome man

When i started reading I was like, shit is that the old or new, your original one sounds very similar to the one i built for myself a while back and although i want to upgrade I have no reason so I am stuck with what i got, but it is a good PC none the less.

ANYWAYS, that cooler you picked is supposed to be good.

Tuned in for performance in the end and thoughts on the build.

Thats my daily conceal carry, he goes where ever I go, and when Im at home it sits down next to me. LOL

Yea, my old setup wasnt to shabby, but I felt it getting slow, plus with a few new games coming out more performance is needed.

This is my first time ever having more then 8gb of ram, 32 surly is not needed, but I love it!!

My h80i does exacty the same boots up really loud then quietens down depending on my settings on the link settings

Yea, pretty annoying to me. Im use to loud fans because I normally got my gpu fan on max (just replaced that fan too since it failed and I rigged another on it for a couple months)hahaha.

From what Ive been checking out, the noctuas should gain you 5-8 degrees celecius cooler just by swaping out the radiator fans, and be queiter too.

Also seems like a lot of pc geeks/builders/testers/reviewers swear by them like Linus tech tips, tek syndicate, etc. So Ill just swap every fan out for them and go for some nice "positive pressure" in the case.

Im not knocking your choice in equipment by any means.... I would like to play with that CPU under LN2 to see what it can really do, but like you said that cpu is no different then the 8350 except the 9xxx series are highly binned cpus... obviously. My choice would have been to wait another 20 or so days and bought the "Ivy Bridge E" skt 2011 cpu, and motherboard of choice, and a quad ch 16gb set of ram. The 4 core/8 thread IB"E" cpu is actually cheaper then that cpu you just bought, and the motherboard for it would have been comparable in price, etc.. Also something else to think about is the internal SataIII controller in the 990fx hub BLOW DICK for speed when paired with a sataIII SSD (in most cases) they do ok with marvell controllers, but 990fx's do not like controllers like the more popular sandforce for whatever reason, the performance is just so lack luster. Intels SataIII is hands down the fastest, and the end user can see the advertised numbers of what the drive can really do.

I built a PC 2 months back using the 8350, gtx770's, 16gb ddr2133, and 2 different ssd's, and i was left telling the owner when all was built that it was a "nice" pc and will serve what he wants to do with it just fine, but there is so much left on the table. I hated..... NO SCRATCH THAT.... I FUCKING HATED the way the 1st ssd performed (ocz vertex4 Indilinx based) then tried a marvell based ssd, and performance was much better, but still not the way it should have been. Im not a noob when it comes to this stuff as most know, so i certainly dont need someone telling me differently. SataIII controllers in the AMD 890/990 hubs BLOW.

anyways, have fun with your stuff, if you enjoy it, then thats all that matters.

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

Archived