Second Skin Audio

How much can an SA-8 handle?

hayden55

Well see the problem is, is that in car audio you get addicted to the power. lol
With that being said, atm i am running a kicker zx750 (932rms birthed), a T-line enclosure ported at 34.6hz, and a single sundown sa-8 d4. What i am running right now it doesnt blow any hot air at all (very cool) but the cone does get very warm to the touch, but i can keep my hand on it without pain etc. How many watts can i push to it before it blows? Anybody kind of have a guess? Im planning on buying a kicker zx1500 but im not sure as to how much that amp puts out either as my zx750 pushes over 900. I figure if i do blow it, i will just have it rebuilt and move on.
Questions:
What has already been pushed to a sa-8 and survived?
How many watts does the kicker zx1500 push?
How much does sundown charge to built a comp version if sent in?
Any other opinions? Amp choices?

2006 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0l-Rockford Fosgate 6x8s 3-ways- Sundown Audio SA-8- 3.64ft3 tline box in naked mdf- Kicker zx750.1- 0/1 Gauge wires- Pioneer head unit stuff to come:16 steve meade 18's7 rockford fosgate t15000bdcpa fleet of escaladeslol jk new car?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being in a transmission line I would be more worried about mechanical damage before thermal. Just from what I've read it take much less power to achieve xmax.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

I agrree with krakin im suprised its holding up to that power now in a t-line

haha. The funny part is, is that it runs very well in a Tline. It even runs cooler than what it did in a ported box. I guess all of the air flow is helping it out.

2006 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0l-Rockford Fosgate 6x8s 3-ways- Sundown Audio SA-8- 3.64ft3 tline box in naked mdf- Kicker zx750.1- 0/1 Gauge wires- Pioneer head unit stuff to come:16 steve meade 18's7 rockford fosgate t15000bdcpa fleet of escaladeslol jk new car?

I am feeling that either that amp is doing no where near rated or you wired up than down.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

I am feeling that either that amp is doing no where near rated or you wired up than down.

thanks for the support man! I believe in you too! Besides that i am running 13.7ish most of the time, running 0/1 gauge, etc. I swear that each side is wired in parallel to achieve 2 ohm

so are asking if we gave you a definitive number, you would get as close to it as you can?

for example, it can handle 1krms before it thermally fails, are you going to run 995w to it?

It is rated at 600rms, and being in a T-Line you shouldnt need 900w. It can handle 900w, but if it is getting hot, it is time to turn it down, or find out if you are clipping or not.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

so are asking if we gave you a definitive number, you would get as close to it as you can?

for example, it can handle 1krms before it thermally fails, are you going to run 995w to it?

It is rated at 600rms, and being in a T-Line you shouldnt need 900w. It can handle 900w, but if it is getting hot, it is time to turn it down, or find out if you are clipping or not.

Well i dont know, but my 900w hand warmer is pretty convenient. So... Basically the 8 is holding me back at this point? But i have seen a guy on youtube flex the mess out of his roof with two sa-8s on a ns-1

The thing about coils is they don't just "snap" under large loads, they melt. It's not instantaneous when over powering. Running much over RMS isn't too wise without a strong background in electrics.

I would suggest upgrading to the X-8 if you want more output from an eight inch woofer.

Archived