Second Skin Audio

Fi Audio Q 18 Port Help

czman30

Hello, I've really been stumped on this for a while now. I have the dimensions of the box I want but I really don't have the time or money to mess this up so I am wondering what should the port area be if I have a box that is 40in width, 18in height, and 24inch in depth with 1 inch mdf? Also when you have a port and need to maintain the port width and if you were to make a right angle and continue how do I figure out the port length? Currently on iPhone will post picture of what I mean later if what I am saying isn't making sense! Any help is appreciated!

Introduce a no fat chicks in the whip rule.

Im gonna have tech force make up a sign that says that and put it on my car lol

Can you make it a bit bigger? Joe X designed this box for me and its fantastic:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/151485-fi-q-18-box/

I used 3/4 inch but instead of MDF I used Birch. I braced it with a LOT of really thick metal L brackets and shit tons of industrial liquid nails. Then sealed it further with silicone seal. I can be blasting test tones at full volume and feel zero vibration anywhere on the box. Its heavy as fuck though. Sounds very good :D

Can you make it a bit bigger? Joe X designed this box for me and its fantastic:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/151485-fi-q-18-box/

I used 3/4 inch but instead of MDF I used Birch. I braced it with a LOT of really thick metal L brackets and shit tons of industrial liquid nails. Then sealed it further with silicone seal. I can be blasting test tones at full volume and feel zero vibration anywhere on the box. Its heavy as fuck though. Sounds very good :D

I went with 42width 18 height, and 24 depth. 6x16 port which comes out to 96 Square inches. I was going to add some bracing... but im afraid its going to mess up all my all of designing which I have gone back repeatedly to redo... and I dont have much more time before I need to start building it.

I'm not sure about the resin thing. Everything I have read about it seems to suggest it is a good idea but it looked a bit too complicated/messy for me. I am not very good with anything wood related. Good thing I had access to people who could do that cutting well for me. From what I understand what you are essentially doing is sealing gaps in the wood/making it harder or at least giving the sound a stiffer surface to bounce off of. I felt like a more efficient solution to this was to use a less porous wood (AKA something that is more wood and less glue) and a harder wood so I built my box out of birch instead of mdf.

Now if you build the same box out of MDF+Resin and compare it to mine on a termlab or something I have no idea who would really win but I would imagine I am at least somewhere in between doing nothing about the problem and the resin box if not just as effective and doing it by just buying a different box material required no extra work.

• 2 weeks later...

Just glued my sheets up. I cut the full sheet up into peices. Now I glued up the sheet I cut in half. I will post pictures of the peices later.

Archived