I say CCA for runs because runs are expensive, and my wallet don't like expensive, and I say OFC for amps and speaker wire cause you only need a few ft for amps, and speaker wire isn't expensive.

Both types serve a purpose, that's why they exist, yes I know Copper is more conductive, but is the extra cost worth it, not really when quantity is require.

I agree with TeamHT as well

I myself would put the extra work of doubling up the runs in cca instead of working extra hours at work to pay for the ofc because it hurts my wallet. I do love the fact you can 150 ft of cca for the cost of 50ft of ofc, and have it transfer more current.

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

There is a lot of misconception regarding CCA vs copper wiring. I don't think everyone is on the same page. I anxiously await some videos.

One area of mention is making damn sure CCA connections are terminated correctly, because of the way aluminum expands and contracts due to heat differences. A lot of screws back out of terminals etc because of this. The wire is also more brittle. At the end of the day, steel frame is even less conductive than aluminum, however we see it acceptable to use as a safe path for ground? What is the difference here? Safety! The steel remains solid at temperatures where aluminum starts to expand and contract....But pound for pound does that remain consistent? After all, one pound of aluminum has almost twice the amount of current carrying capability of one pound of copper (i.e. 2 2 ft runs of CCA will carry more than 1 2ft run of copper at the same weight). Again, aluminum has a way higher chance of failure when introduced to heat and vibration. Proper termination is a must.

Edited by finkster

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

OFC > CCA.

When you see why you'll slap yourself.

Edit: you guys are really gonna argue with an engineer that just reinvented an amplifier topology to build the T15K? Maybe you should humble yourselves because you sound as bad as the noobs on this site who know everything already.

Edited by Quiet
  • Like (+1 Rep) 4

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Wooot we all love you tony!

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

OFC > CCA.

Edit: you guys are really gonna argue with an engineer that just reinvented an amplifier topology to build the T15K? Maybe you should humble yourselves because you sound as bad as the noobs on this site who know everything already.

No he gave us the answer, I just want to see the problem. I have the utmost respect for Tony and like reading his lessons :)

However, this is a tease god dammit.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Eclipse cd7000

OFC > CCA.

Yes I will argue, not for the fact of right or wrong but simply to keep those in power accountable. Tony D has quite a bit of influence on this site and I would hate to see new people spouting off the gospel of OFC wire and a/b amps or your car is a piece of shit because naturally that is how it will go.

If you want to blindly follow, then be my guest. I for one will continue to challenge

• Like (+1 Rep) 4

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

Blindly? No. Tony has proven himself.

But its funny how it doesn't even seem to give some of you any pause...

Then you are basing this off of faith. There is no doubt in my mind that Tony's grasp of audio knowledge surpasses almost everyone on this site. That being said, people want to know why so they can understand the answer.

The answer is either OFC> CCA or CCA> Copper. Tony says OFC>CCA and while I don't think he is wrong, WHY is he right? What is classified as "better?" Same cross section, same weight? What? WHY is it not OK? It is not an argument, it is us asking for the proof that it is right.

These claims are all pretty exciting and interesting and I hope to learn a bunch from watching the videos.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Eclipse cd7000

OFC > CCA.

Not to be an ass, but the opinion pushed is being backed by REAL WORLD TESTING, not on paper. yes as a DIRECT comparison, OFC > CCA, but for current carrying capacity (not resistance), for the cost CCA is better. You can do 3 runs of CCA for the price of 1 Run of OFC. OFC will carry 300 max, CCA will carry close to 600.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Tony is the most intelligent on this forum on this topic... But that doesn't mean everything gets a free pass, we just want some explaining, especially when real world record holders are using CCA and not OFC.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

I've heard that Facts and Science have no place in car audio.

Without a doubt. Look at how well it works out with Religion

• Like (+1 Rep) 4

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)