Soooooooo not that I want to get in the middle of another pissing match, but when talking about wire there is another thing to think about besides just OFC or CCA......your end terminations.

There's so much more to it then just copper or aluminum.

Soldered terminals, crimped, fuses, how many fuses, quality of solder, amount of solder, type of crimp...........

When you combine different metals there is also a voltage drop incorporated with that as well.

Copper terminals, aluminum terminals, plated terminals, surface area of contact....

Take that into account when you're discussing your real-world results as well.

There are literally thousands of combinations of equipment (besides the HU, amps and speakers) that make up your system and every little bit is going to affect it.

All those small voltage drops probably add up and account for more voltage drop then a huge span of OFC or CCA.

The way I look at it is this: Look at your system parameters and calculate the appropriate gear for the requirements. A great rule of thumb is 2x what you need for reliability.

Then if you're happy with your voltage drop and all, then great, you're DONE! :D

As was said above 99% of us aren't hard core competitors so gaining that 0.2V or 0.5dB isn't going to amount to squat on the Ear-O-Meter so just have fun with your system.

:good:

• Like (+1 Rep) 4

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Nice practical examples!

Since you're covering voltage/current in and out of various sources and loads, it might be handy to very quickly go over Kirchhoff's Voltage and Current laws.

Or something along the lines of the conservation of power rules which you mostly covered by saying that the power out of the source = the power into the load.

I've seen a lot of people on here confused about how power from a source gets distributed to more then one load.

Never hurts to quote some laws (like Ohms Law already mentioned) since there are some people occasionally who think they can invent their own laws from time to time.

While you're still on DC circuits, any plans on doing a practical example using an alternator, battery and an amplifier and explain how they interact?

This especially ties into the conservation of power since there are a lot of inexperienced people running HUGE amps from a stock electrical system who are blaming the equipment because its blowing up. Just because you have a 10kW amp, doesn't mean that it magically produces that 10kW...

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Nice practical examples!

Since you're covering voltage/current in and out of various sources and loads, it might be handy to very quickly go over Kirchhoff's Voltage and Current laws.

Or something along the lines of the conservation of power rules which you mostly covered by saying that the power out of the source = the power into the load.

I've seen a lot of people on here confused about how power from a source gets distributed to more then one load.

Never hurts to quote some laws (like Ohms Law already mentioned) since there are some people occasionally who think they can invent their own laws from time to time.

While you're still on DC circuits, any plans on doing a practical example using an alternator, battery and an amplifier and explain how they interact?

This especially ties into the conservation of power since there are a lot of inexperienced people running HUGE amps from a stock electrical system who are blaming the equipment because its blowing up. Just because you have a 10kW amp, doesn't mean that it magically produces that 10kW...

Great feedback, thank you. We can do that

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

So no one else did the homework?

I'm curious to see if I did it right? It seemed almost too easy...

Crap I forgot those are at the end...

I'll give it a try real quick.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Homework answer:

Total current = 12w

Power in 8 ohm load = 8w

" " 4 ohm load = 4w

Is this right?

So no one else did the homework?

I'm curious to see if I did it right? It seemed almost too easy...

I didn't "do" the homework, but to me it would seem like as resistance climbs wattage would drop, no?