powermax usa alts ?..

any1 use or no anyone who has used?..im lookin to upgrade...dont need a badass alt..was usen 2.2 f cap with yellow top .and big 4..but after adding a (twin)second mono amp i get bad dimming..

i see that the feebacks on ebay are really good..

i have in f150

2 phoenix gold 8.0:1's pushn 700 rms each

1 HF 640 rms 4channel

stock 110 alt w/2.2 cap... YT battery..big 3(4) 0gauge

alt is 250 amps....even if the alt only put out 200 amps, it would serve my purpose right?..cant bet 160$..

Any help is good help thx

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DC Power Kyle

You do get what you pay for.. if it's 160 dollars for an alternator you have to imagine it's costing them next to nothing to build them because they have to make their dollar as well.

You do get what you pay for.. if it's 160 dollars for an alternator you have to imagine it's costing them next to nothing to build them because they have to make their dollar as well.

Key point here.

The way I see it, if you see a 'new' alt being sold at less than $1/Amp, I wouldn't trust it or the seller.

It seems that a lot of companies are charging closer to $2.50 per amp. I personally think that the cost is a bit excessive on the top name alternators, but I admit that I am ignorant to the cost difference of build a "cheap" alternator, compared to one with "quality" components.

I will tell you this though. Most of the time when buying specialty/name brand equipment, you are paying a huge premium strictly because the market will allow it. And when it comes to electronics, it isn't that much different. I would imagine that the parts used in a $160 alternator do not cost $240 less than the parts used in a $400 alternator. In other words, I personally believe the profit margin is way higher on a "quality" alternator.

Am I way off here? Maybe.. lol but I don't think I am THAT far off. Think about it.... Brand X sells a dry fit style shirt for $20.. Nike sells the same shirt made of the same polyester blend for $60.. Did Nike spend $40 more making the shirt? Fuck no they didn't, but you will buy it because everyone knows it is the shirt to have. You don't want to get laughed at for wearing a Big Lots brand shirt, right?

Don't kid yourself into thinking that you don't pay a premium for brand names in car audio... Ever notice how a new company comes out at a pretty reasonable price, and next year the price on the "v2" is almost double? Did production costs double to produce an item of similar specs? No.. quite the opposite, technology gets cheaper every year. The $ to watt ratio in 1990 is way different than the $ to watt ratio today (punch 200 / ppi art series anyone 500W for 1 meeeellion dollars?). As in all things, people sell an item for whatever price the market will bear (and can you blame them?)

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

^While to some degree that is true, Any of these cheaper alts that have come out in the past have been found to have shitty ass internals (Weak regulators, rebuilt old cases, poor wrapping, overdrive pulleys) causing them to fail early and not put out what they are actually quoting.

Take Tenney alts for example. He was brand new last year, and quite a bit of hubbub was raised about how low his prices were and for a steal of a deal you seemed to be getting something pretty good. Towards the fall season, people started having problems with them, alts up and cooking. Can't take the abuse worth a shit and alts started failing left and right. It's ok though, they're lifetime warrantied right? Oh wait, he no longer responds to any contact information he left, good luck using that warranty....

No need for an isolator unless you play with the car off to the point that you have dead batteries. Which... I wouldn't suggest anyway

I'll ask this: What is your voltage drop right now?

Archived