How to make sure my electrical system can handle 6000 watts, 4 questions ***ADDED PICS ON PAGE 4***

So im currently running a kicker 08 zx2500 off of 2 15" L7's and I want to upgrade to 4 15" L7's. I recently picked up a 2nd zx2500 but this one is the 06 model. I have 1 mechman 270 amp alt. I'm about to get 2 xs D3100's, 1 under the hood, 1 in the trunk. So here are my questions.

1) Sense the amps are the same model but different generations, would it be safe to run all 4 subs in a common air space if I gain match the amps or should I split the box into 2 chambers?

2) Sense the amp each recommend a 300A fuse yet I only have 1 Alt, would 1 run of 1/0 CCA with 2 300A fuses between the batteries be fine? or should I put 2 runs sense Im running both amps?

3) Would I see any difference between 1 of 2 runs sense I only have 1 270 amp alt?

4) Are there any other key factors im leaving out and/or forgetting before I do this upgrade?

Any and all input is appreciated, thanks! I'm ready to get on this as soon as I can.

My Youtube Channel

Trying to guess the SPL of a system with out a meter is like trying to guess how much air pressure is in a compressor tank just by letting some of the air out.

...Seems like 90 psi...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the XS power chart the D3100's can support 4000 watts if its under the hood by itself and 5000 more watts on top of that if its in the trunk, but do you still think I would need more batteries? I have 2 Stinger SPV44 batteries in my trunk right now for the 1 2500, could they be run with the 2 D3100's or would they work against each other?

My Youtube Channel

Trying to guess the SPL of a system with out a meter is like trying to guess how much air pressure is in a compressor tank just by letting some of the air out.

...Seems like 90 psi...

I changed the title of the thread so people would read and answer the questions in the thread and not answer the title of the thread, people seem to do that wayyy too much here.

My Youtube Channel

...Seems like 90 psi...

So im currently running a kicker 08 zx2500 off of 2 15" L7's and I want to upgrade to 4 15" L7's. I recently picked up a 2nd zx2500 but this one is the 06 model. I have 1 mechman 270 amp alt. I'm about to get 2 xs D3100's, 1 under the hood, 1 in the trunk. So here are my questions.

1) Sense the amps are the same model but different generations, would it be safe to run all 4 subs in a common air space if I gain match the amps or should I split the box into 2 chambers?

2) Sense the amp each recommend a 300A fuse yet I only have 1 Alt, would 1 run of 1/0 CCA with 2 300A fuses between the batteries be fine? or should I put 2 runs sense Im running both amps?

3) Would I see any difference between 1 of 2 runs sense I only have 1 270 amp alt?

4) Are there any other key factors im leaving out and/or forgetting before I do this upgrade?

Any and all input is appreciated, thanks! I'm ready to get on this as soon as I can.

OK 1.

It is spelled "Since" not sense. That would not make any SENSE, since it is spelled incorrectly.

Now then. You want to have 2, 2500W amps. Because of efficiency, they may consume as much as 7200W from your electrical.

2) D3100s should be just about adequate for that power level. A 270A alt will charge those batts just fine.

As far as wire, add as many runs as you can fit and afford.

I definitely recommend OFC. A single run of 0awg OFC from front to back may carry 350A. CCA may carry 250A. Fuses are used to protect the wire, not the amplifier. And Kicker may recommend 300A because the amplifier will draw just under that. So you can have 2 runs of OFC 0awg for each amplifier and a 300A fuse on each wire and be good because the fuses protect the wire. SO I suggest a 300A fuse on each 0awg wire you have, no matter how many runs.

If you use CCA you would have to use double the amount of wire and fuse each one with 250A fuse.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

My bad on the grammar mistake, thanks for the correction, I'll be sure to get it right from now on, and I have a 50' spool of 1/0 awg cca beside me, do you think that wire would handle the 300 amp fuses since it's bigger than 0 awg? And if I can get the 2 runs out of the spool I will no doubt, I was just wondering if for any reason I couldn't would the 1 run be able to support that size system?

My Youtube Channel

...Seems like 90 psi...

Lots of people are anti CCA it can be quite a heated debate lol. OFC does carry more current than CCA. I would think (at first glance) 2 runs of OFC or 3 runs of CCA. While I am normally a fan of CCA due to the price difference, in this case it might be easier to bite the bullet on a 50' spool of OFC. But.. as has been established you are talking about tenths of a db in most cases. If you are a hard core competitor buy the better wire.. If you can live with 13.8V instead of 14V (making numbers up here.. don't kill me lol) then use your CCA.

I wouldn't think that 1 run of CCA would be enough for 4kw though. What are you using right now? If it is 1/0 CCA, you could add 2 runs from your 50' spool and be ok. However there are a lot of guys smarter than me here, and if it fits your budget, OFC is never a wrong choice.

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

Get weld cable.... cheap an its copper. Im running 5k through some 2/0 about to double it today when new box goes in.

Bro your way over thinking this.

What ohm load your running the kicks at?

Im running .7 to each amp with 250amp alt an 2 xp3000 batt

09 mustang gt

OK 1.

It is spelled "Since" not sense. That would not make any SENSE, since it is spelled incorrectly.

Now then. You want to have 2, 2500W amps. Because of efficiency, they may consume as much as 7200W from your electrical.

2) D3100s should be just about adequate for that power level. A 270A alt will charge those batts just fine.

As far as wire, add as many runs as you can fit and afford.

I definitely recommend OFC. A single run of 0awg OFC from front to back may carry 350A. CCA may carry 250A. Fuses are used to protect the wire, not the amplifier. And Kicker may recommend 300A because the amplifier will draw just under that. So you can have 2 runs of OFC 0awg for each amplifier and a 300A fuse on each wire and be good because the fuses protect the wire. SO I suggest a 300A fuse on each 0awg wire you have, no matter how many runs.

If you use CCA you would have to use double the amount of wire and fuse each one with 250A fuse.

Wow! I hope you are not for real on the fuse protecting the wire

I thought the fuse was to protect your equipment, bats, amps, fire, and etc. The wire would be the least of the issues I think

King dingalingIts not finished till i say so Bit@^!

Fuse protects the wire and your car from lighting on fire from a short

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

Archived